Saturday 29 August 2015

Saturday 29th August 2015

Friday

And on the fifth day the sun did shine, and there was celebration on the face of the earth. But poor Jelltex had a morning of meetings to look forward to. Jools left for work at half six, leaving me with the cats.

So, I sit at the dining room table for five hours, in meetings, making phone calls, it is the modern way. However, at twelve I have to bail out of the meeting as I have to walk into town for a dentist appointment. The possible cavity has been playing up, and more investigation was needed. Or so I thought.

Friday afternoon walk to the dentist. And the Rack of Ale Anyway, I get out the old walking boots, pack my camera bag and with the sun high over the yardarm, off I go, grumbling that I really have better things to do. I don't really, but hey. After about 5 steps, I forget the grumbling and am enjoying the walk already, even with the walk back up Station Road into the village, which usually has been huffing and puffing, but as with my last walk, there seems to be much less effort used, and I am powering up. Well, kinda.

Friday afternoon walk to the dentist. And the Rack of Ale Past the village shop and through the churchyard, across Reach Road, through the housing estate and I am into the countryside, striding out across the field of dried beans, dodging the dog shit on the path, but looking forward to when I reach the cliffs.

Through the small wood, which still stinks of fox, still, at least they are not being hunted, and across one then the other rough track which leads to the lighthouse.

Friday afternoon walk to the dentist. And the Rack of Ale And finally down the narrow path beside the lighthouse and in front of me is the steep slope leading to the cliff edge. And yet, its not as I imagined, as being a sunny and warm day during the school holidays, there are dozens of people about, and there are people everywhere, not huge crowds, but then again not the peace and quiet I had hoped. However, the views and warm sunshine make for it being pleasant enough. The French coast can be seen, as well as buildings in Calais and the villages south of there. I hope to snap a Chalkhill Blue or two, but the breeze is keener up on the cliffs than I would have expected, so I had to make do with the views and walk.

Friday afternoon walk to the dentist. And the Rack of Ale In a bid to get away from other walkers, I head inland to take the cinder path and then the Cliff Road along the track of the old railway. I am an hour ahead of schedule, so I take a seat and see a Small White to snap. I amble on, crossing the main cliff path again where most people take the steep steps to the Nation Trust place, but I keep going, with the view over the docks opening up to the left and below.

Finally, I take the narrow path back up to the top of the cliffs, only for the path to go back down again, under Jubilee Way and down to East Cliff and so into the town. From there it is a short walk to Castle Street tot he dentist, I wait a while, before I am called. And once again nothing is found, flossing and the such is suggested.

Friday afternoon walk to the dentist. And the Rack of Ale The plan now was for me to pass some time in The Rack of Ale until Jools picked me up on the way home from work. As a bonus, they have a barrel of Plum Porter which should be on, so I stop at the bak, get some cash and walk up Biggin Street to Ladywell and the Rack.

Sadly, the Porter wasn't on yet, but they have others to try, and a good supply of pork scratchings to much on too. The third pint is the Porter, and it is glorious and fruity. As you would expect. Jools arrives at half four, I really have had enough, but Jools wants to try a cider, so I have another half, just to be sociable.

Friday afternoon walk to the dentist. And the Rack of Ale And if it were a cartoon, the gauges in my eyes would show I was full!

Jools drives us home, via KFC which we are going to have for dinner, with the pasta salad I made the day before. And for some reason I am no so tired. So, so tired.

No comments: