Thursday 6 August 2015

Thursday 6th August 2015

Wednesday

And here we are on hump day, the middle of the week. On the long gentle slope to the weekend after that huge cliff we climbed on Monday and Tuesday.

What I can tell you is that waking at some ten hours sleep was an odd feeling. LIke you can just remember those days when you were a teenager, when you could lay in bed until dinnertime, or beyond. What is this feeling, oh yeah, not sleepy. Unsleepy if you like.

How do you feel? asked Jools. Fine I replied. She had brought me coffee during the evening, which I managed to ignore and then fall back to sleep looking at. Sleep is great, when you can get it, like cheap credit.

Anyway, up and attem!

A cup of coffee before Jools leaves for work, and then another coffee, some breakfast and then to work. Or to work at the same dining room table. Same thing.

Mid-morning news comes that the funeral of Jools' aunt was that afternoon, the communication had failed to reach us, so Jools siad she would come home at two before we headed to the crematorium. That was the plan.

Who was Aunt Jill? Well, my father-in-law's sister. Younger than Tony, but a heavy smoker. It is odd, I may have mentioned before that I am the only child of two only children: meaning I have no aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousin, bothers or sisters. Just me. And now, my Mum. So the idea of a large extended family is alien to me, and I would have thought maybe they would have been closer. However, we are all different I suppose, and it is what it is.

The Sun Arising The crematorium was packed, but I knew few people there, and as soon as the service ended, we left for the drive home. Not many words you can say, a life summed up in 5 minutes: she had been a district nurse, brought many of the attendees into the world, she will be missed.

Back home, Jools asked when I would be cooking dinner, or should she go for fish and chips? Shall we think about that for a moment. OK, fish and chips it is then!

I stay home, butter some bread and make the drinks.

In a romantic gesture, we spend the evening trimming the other hedge and picking up the clippings; who says I don't know how to treat a lady?

As darkness falls, we watch Horizon, about space junk. I wrote a dissertation for a course on technical authorship in 199 about Space Junk. What shocked me so much by the program was that so little has been done in the last 16 years, and now things are now so much worse, it seems we are so close now to a catastrophic failure with our satellites crashing into each other, and mankind will then be marooned on planet Earth for good. A lot at stake with this one.

Time for bed already? Seems like I only just got up. Oh wells.

5 comments:

nztony said...

But if all the satellites crash into each other I may get a chance to resurrect my morse code career and become very useful. Once you learn it you never forget it. I did it from 1980 to 1993 transmitting and receiving to and from ships at sea.

jelltex said...

That may yet happen, Tony. So much we take for granted in the 21st Century relies on those metal boxes in space. Ships having to use chronometers again to work of longitude.

nztony said...

It could get all very 'Suvivors' like. Did you see this in the late 1970s or were you too young:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(1975_TV_series) For some reason it really got under my skin and I super enjoyed it. I got the DVDs 4 or 5 years ago and re-watched it and would have to be my all time favourite series. Hard to believe Greg, the main character is 75 years old now.

jelltex said...

No I do remember it, all from the really eerie and effective opening credits to the whole of the story of the series. I loved it and really engaged me. I seem to remember one of the main characters leaving after telling the main party, in Swedish, he had smallpox or something. Yes, loved that. It was remade a few years back, but not as good even with higher production values.

nztony said...

You definitely remember it. Agreed the music is great, very haunting. I've watched my box set several times since I got it a few years back. Not sure if you remember the second series, which as mainly based at a farm? On my rides in the countryside I often see places that remind me of that it. They say that Series One was "guns and landrovers" Series Two "agriculture" and I forget what they refer to Series Three but it was something like "Hide and seek" looking for Greg, and I reckon that is spot on. I enjoyed the the remake but of course nothing beats the original. Although the very last scene of Series Two of the remake was an amazing cliffhanger, but we'll never see the outcome as Series 3 wasn't commissioned. I bought that on Box Set too!