Saturday 10 October 2015

Saturday 10th October 2015

Friday

The truth of the matter was we were both tired. Worn out. Which is why when the alarm went off, Jools carried on sleeping and I just laid there. Through the news and all the way through Vanessa Feltz's over-cheery preamble. I mean, should anyone be that cheerful at six in the morning, even if it is a Friday? I can't remember what song she began the show with, Walking on Bloody Sunshine I expect, or something upbeat. I, at least, have a day working from home, Jools has the drive along the motorway with the idiots who think they're in a race, and then has to cope with doing the work of two people, as her boss is on holiday. Again.

So, we get up, feed the cats, deal with whatever dead or nearly dead animals have been brought in during the night, make coffee.

Looking out the bathroom window, there is a weak silvery light . Looking out there is just a sliver of moon high up over the village, and on either side there is a single bright star. It looks amazing. But with the sun already brightening the horizon, the sight won't last, and soon will be lost to the light of the day. But for a moment, it was breathtaking.

Rule Britannia Then, as I have to have the car for a doctor's appointment, I have to drive Jools to work, then drive back before work can start. As we drive down Jubilee Way, the sun is just over the horizon, casting such glorious colours and shapes over the cliffs, it really is wonderful just to be out at that time. But once we had reach Hythe, dropped Jools off and I began the return trip, I realised that the rising sun would be right in front of for most of the journey home. In fact, it was pretty horrible having to squint into the sun to see the road ahead, but I made good time, and soon was back in Dover, and up Jubilee Way along the Deal road and home.

More coffee, then time to get the day started, and right away there's a fire needs putting out, and another smoldering problems that keeps flaring up. I have to see the doctor at some point, to renew my prescription for the allergy pills, so I need to make an appointment, and to be sure I don't run out over the weekend, I have to seem him today. Being a Friday, you can only make an appointment that morning, and once you get through, you have to take what appointments are left. Mine will be ten past ten, right when I should be note taking a meeting.

I send out mails, and my old boss says he will take notes, which is good of him, and before I know it, it is time to drive into Dover for the appointment. It is a short appointment: helloe. How's the allergies. Do you still need the pills? Here's the prescription. Bye.

Rule Britannia I drive home to join the end of the meeting, I hear some of what was said, and then there is another meeting, same people, different subject.

That takes me to half twelve. I have lunch. Write some mails, fill some forms, and I believe I am up to date. Now, as there was a steam train due, I thought I would go to snap that, but take my phone to check on mails and be on call, as it were.

A Friday afternoon walk round Hythe I drive out to Sheperdswell, and join a couple of others already waiting. A tour was to deposit passengers at Dover, recreating the Golden Arrow, except its the wrong station, wrong locomotive, and when it passes by us, the wrong carriages too. But apart from that, perfect. Anyway, its a steam tour, and there have been rare this year. We wait, and dead on time we see a single headlight in the tunnel ahead. Unlike with Mayflower, we heard no noise of the pistons working, just the light getting larger and larger.

A Friday afternoon walk round Hythe The engine, 70000 "Britannia", bursts out of the tunnel in a ball of smoke and steam, doesn't break stride and roars past with the driver opening the steam whistle for us to hear.

And she was gone.

I check my phone: no mails or messages. And I have two hours before I have to pick up Jools, so I decide to have a wander round Hythe.

A Friday afternoon walk round Hythe I park up on the other side of the green to the factory, grab my camera and have to decide which way along the canal to go. Canal, I hear you ask. Yes, but not just a canal, but a military canal. Built for the Napoleonic wars, to move men and equipment about. But no sooner was it built, that the wars with France ended, and the canal was turned into something to cruise upon. They even have a Venetian style parade, but that is in July, now it just mirrors the trees which are just beginning to turn gold.

War Memorial, Hythe, Kent I walk east, crossing over the Lady Bridge, I pause at the rather wonderful war memorial, fabulously carved with the images of men from the three services. Along the canal, and back again. I see a footpath the other side of the Lady Bridge; wonder where that goes. I investigate, and find that the path goes past a cricket square, three football pitches, a bowling green and superb golden trees. Cross a main road and I am on the broad promenade with fine views down the Folkestone on one side and to the two nuclear power stations at Dungeness.

A Friday afternoon walk round Hythe I walk back to the car and wait for four when Jools would leave work.

Once she had walked over the green, we then have to weave our way round the back streets of the town to avoid the traffic, then we can head up through the valley to Dollands Moor and onto the motorway.

The weekend had begin!

Traffic to the port was light, so we were home by half four, time for a coffee, a bite of chocolate, and we can relax. It has been quite a week. No where near enough sleep for either of us, and now, all we want to do is to relax. Relax and sleep.

No comments: