Sunday 4 October 2015

Sunday 4th October 2015

Saturday

Golden Morning A day off.

Yay.

But another day with travel, be it one out of choice on my part. One of the more wonderful parts about being online and the internet is meeting people though it, or in this case, photography. Tim is a newly retired train driver from the north of Kent, and he asked me a while back if I would like to see the churches around where he lives? Of course I would, and now we have no orchids to snap, I seem to have a little more time. So, it was arranged that Saturday would be the day, and Tim would meet me from Paddock Wood.

East Window by Marc Chagall, All Saints,  Tudeley, Kent Of course, it would be too easy to say that Jools dropped me off at Dover and I caught the direct train, wouldn't it? No, there was engineering works on, so the trains were starting and terminating at Folkestone. And so I had to ask Jools if she would not mind in driving me to Folkestone, rather than catching the rail-replacement bus. One final problem was that the Channel Tunnel was closed again, which meant Operation Stack was up and running, with no guarantee whether roads would be open or closed.

Stained glass by Marc Chagall, All Saints, Tudely, Kent As it turned out, there was no problems, at least when we droved down Jubilee Way and then back up the A20 to Capel and Folkestone. On the other side, the queue of trucks had begun, but were moving, if very slowly. I had time to queue and buy a ticket, even as it turned out it was not checked either to get on either trains or stations. Anyway, I settled into a seat once the train pulled in, and soon we were zipping along to Ashford where I had to change trains, with just enough time to pop into the buffet, now a Starbucks, for a Spicy Pumpkin Latte with and extra shot. Would you like extra cream with that? No, I think that is naughty enough, thanks.

Stained glass by Marc Chagall, All Saints, Tudely, Kent The train arrives, and it is lightly used, I don't quite have a carriage to myself, but it is close. We trundle through the Kentish countryside, Pluckley, Headcorn, Marden and then Paddock Wood. Tim was waiting, still beaming after a month of retirement, and he has a nice shiny new car to tootle around in. And why not?

Stained glass by Marc Chagall, All Saints, Tudely, Kent We drive for about ten minutes to Tudeley, where there is an ancient church (aren't they all?), but All Saints has a rather wonderful collection of modern stained glass. The church is open, and insode it is bright and airy, it really is a delight, as corny as that sounds. The whole church has been modernised, but done in such away the ancient fabric of the church has been kept, and yet it feels modern. I liked it to be honest. The glass is world-famous, designed and made by Marc Chagall, and is the only church in Britain completely glazed by his work.

Stained glass by Marc Chagall, All Saints, Tudely, Kent We move on to a nearby more 'traditional' chuch, but is wonderful for all that. I won't name it, as it is subject of the GWUK group, but will describe it later when I update this post.

We were talking, and Tim mentions Pembury, and I say I have never been able to get inside. Not a hint, as what with the twisting and turning in the car, I have no idea if we were next to the church or an hour away. About four miles away is the answer, would you like to try now Tim asks? Yes, I think I would.

Stained glass by Marc Chagall, All Saints, Tudely, Kent St Peter is next to a public school (I think), anyway, its not your usual run of the mill secondary modern. And even from the car park I can see the doors open, past the guy who had scatted two dozen pieces of cloth in the graveyard: don't mind me, I'm dowsing he says. We leave him to his stick waving, and go insde. There are four wardens, all busy decorating the church ready for harvest festival. I am OK to take shots, and even with the floor ankle deep in dried hops, it is a wonderful church, and the tiles are stunning, one of the best examples I have seen of Victorian tiles in the county. I get my shots again, and checking our watches we see it is five past opening time, which means beer o'clock.

Stained glass by Marc Chagall, All Saints, Tudely, Kent We drive to Tim's local, and much to my delight they have been served from wooden barrels behind the bar. I have a pint of Harvey's Best, which is splendid. We have a sandwich too, and just for QC purposes, I have a half of ESB which if anything, is better than the Harvey's. I said Tim could drop me off if he wanted, and he was OK with that. So another short drive back to Paddock Wood, and a ten minute wait for the train back to the coast. I called Jools to let her know I was on my way, and she would collect me from Folkestone.

Stained glass by Marc Chagall, All Saints, Tudely, Kent Traffic is still OK around Dover, but just in case we take the Alkham Valley back to Dover, then a nip along the A2 past Tesco to St Margaret's. We get home just before kick off time, which means I can review my shots and listen to the games on the radio. Perfect timing or what?

Sadly, City had an off day, and slumped to a 2-1 defeat to Leicester, and really did not do enough to claim anything out of the game. However, Cjhelski's stuttering start continued, as they let slip a 1-0 lead against Southampton to lose 3-1. As ever, it was everyone;s fault apart from The Chosen One's.

Stained glass by Marc Chagall, All Saints, Tudely, Kent That evening, it is crunch time for the England rugby team, as they have to beat Australia to stay in the world cup; but they were never really going to upset the odds, and despite a 2nd half fightback, they lost 33-13 and are out. That is greeted by silence.

No comments: