Sunday 11 October 2015

Sunday 11th October 2015

Saturday

I sleep through until half seven, which is a good thing, normally. But, in order to beat the crowds at the supermarket, I like to be there when the door open at seven. A problem right away there as you can see. So, I get up, grab the shopping bags and shopping list and leave for Deal and Sainsbury's. The sun is already up and it is going to be a fine day, and apart from the shopping thing, it is going to be a great day. I zip round the shop getting the important things in life, like beer, cider and cheese before dashing to the checkout so I can be home as quickly as possible.

Walk to Walmer Back home we put the shopping away then I make bacon butties and a brew. This is much better for a Saturday morning. And a Saturday which contains very little football, and the other sport is pretty meaningless as England are already out of the rugby. So, one to spend the time in a wasteful manner. Just like every other Saturday then!

With Jools at a bead class in Folkestone, I was left with a few hours on me tod to decide what to do with.

There was a green hop festival on at The Berry in Walmer, so a plan formed in my head. Instead of walking from here, I got Jools to drop me off at The Monument, so I could I walk along the cliffs to Kingsdown and on to Deal. Perfect.

Walk to Walmer As soon as Jools dropped me off, the sun shone through as I neared the Monumant, so best take a shot to record the moment.

Once I got to the cliff edge., I could see looking down it was near to high tide as the waves lapped at the foot of the cliffs.

Not much wildlife about this late in the season; a few gulls but no raptors and certainly no butterflies.

Walk to Walmer The wind was keen and in my face, but I kept a good pace. Away to my left, the pringle-wearing hoards played golf; seemed to be popular, the car park was full.

Until I came to the Kingsdown, where the cliff run out, down the steps and onto the beach.

Walk to Walmer Further along, yet more repairs to the beaches are being carried out, more huge wooden piles being driven in to save what little there is here.

Walk to Walmer A group of bravehearts was out swimming in the sea, a hardy bunch called the Kingsdown Crawlers, apparently.I spoke to a splendid old lady, the mother of one of the swimmers, who told me all about them.

But, the pub was calling and I must press on!

And onto the final stretch, my feet a little sore, my legs a little achy, but I had a thirst.

I walk on the grass, making for The Strand and then onto the pub, past large earth moving equipment for the beach work, flowering Yucca plants, Walmer Castle and my goal is in sight.

I can almost smell the ale!

The Green Hop Festival at The Green Berry, Walmer, Kent Here's what was on, and the pint you see is Pig and Porter.

Canterbury Brewers Seriously Saison 4.5%,
Canterbury Brewers East Kent Red Rye 4.4%,
Gadds' Green Hop Ale 4.8%
Hopfuzz Bullion Bomb 5.0%,
Nelson Conqueror 4.0%,
Pig & Porter Purest Green 5.2%,
Ripple Steam Farmhouse Pale Ale Green Hop 4.2%,
Skinner's Green Hop 4.2%,
Tonbridge Capel Pale 4.5%,
Wantsum Challenger 4.5%

The Green Hop Festival at The Green Berry, Walmer, Kent In the end I have four pints, which is my limit. So I am glad when Jools comes to rescue me to take me home. She makes me a cuppa and I take to the sofa to listen to Fighting Talk, but almost all of it at the beery goodness takes me to the land of nod. I do manage to stay awake during the second run-through, and once it is finished I make a pan of soup for dinner, squash, garlic and stock. Simple enough but tasty.

The evening is set aside for Jools to watch Dr. Who, something I have not got back into, but it makes a change for Jools to want to watch something rather than I. So, I write a blog, go for a shower and generally try not to disturb Jools. I do watch a bit of the end of the rugby, but its all half-hearted, so I switch it off, and we take to our bed early. So to be ready for whatever Sunday has to throw at us.

No comments: