Thursday 4 August 2016

Monday 31st July 2016

I try not to be too negative about my job, but when I have to travel a day early, or just have to spend a night in London instead of being home, it makes me wonder if its all worth it. Of course, in the end I had a great time up London, and saw some great things. So, lets not dwell on the negatives.

Sunday dawned bright and clear, with a few light clouds. It was warm enough in the shadow of a fluffy little cloud, but as soon as the sun broke through, it was very hot. Too hot to sit in the garden, really.

The ongong repairs to the sea wall at Shakespeare Cliff, Dover As I was due to leave for London at some point in the afternoon, I suggested we go out for breakfast, so we could have a filling meal, maybe a bite for lunch. Anyway, you would think that finding a place that did breakfast at eight in the morning would not be hard; but it was carnival in Deal and parking would have been impossible to get to the pier, and when we went to the corner cafe in Walmer, that didn't open until nine.

We drove into Dover and found Chaplins open. I find a place to park, and once inside my eyes being bigger than my belly, I order a big breakfast and Jools just the standard. Needless to say, the breakfast was indeed big, two of everything, and I could not finish. But dirty food is always good, even if we did have to listen to an old couple put the world (wrongly) to rights for nearly a full hour. They also proved that facts are irrelevant in the modern world, when you can bend them to fit your view.

The ongong repairs to the sea wall at Shakespeare Cliff, Dover From there we went up to Shakespeare Cliff to see the progress of the work on the railway. Access was limited as a new fence was being put it, but we could get part of the way up, and see enough. All rails and sleepers have now been delivered, and the line should be open by the end of September at the latest, which is great news, even if it will be too late for my weekly commutes, as by then I will be working out of Belgium.

Calais I take shots, and then we return to the car and drive home, avoiding the port traffic once again, driving back up past the castle and along the cliff road back home. Views across the Channel were so clear, we could make out the buildings in Calais, and the ships passing through the channel looked looked like toys.

I frittered the day away, packed and got ready for the week's trip. Jools worked in the garden as the morning passed, as so did the afternoon. I made some breaded chicken rolls for dinner. That eaten, and Desert Island Discs listened to, it was time for Jools to drop me off at Folkestone, as I began another week away.

I had a flight before eight on Monday, and there was no way I could get to Heathrow from Dover in time leaving on Monday, so I had a night booked at the UJC, which meant being able to wander around with my camera, if only I could think of somewhere to go. I had looked at maps of the city and failed to be enthused by any of it to be honest.

Being the height of the school holidays, and a sunny day to boot, there were many families and people laden with beach gear waiting to get on the train at Folkestone, but as ever we all fitted on with much room to spare, so began the familiar run up to Stratford.

Rescue I arrived just before six, made my way to the Jubilee Line platforms for the run to Waterloo. At least this was something different, and being the weekend at least there was space on the train, although being old stock, there was no air conditioning, and once we entered the tunnels west of Canning Town, it got hot.

Waterloo wasn't too busy, and by now I know how to get to the club, crossing the main road and going down the side entrance to the main door.

Once I had dropped my bags off, I decide to go for a walk, and spotting some blue flashing lights dwon near the South Bank, I thought I would go to investigate.

Rescue Near to the London Eye, a small fairground had been set up, but one of the rides had broken down, standing the riders high in the air, and about a dozen fire engines were in attendance, getting them down with cranes. I stayed a while, took some shots, but it was taking some time. Indeed over an hour later there were still people up in the air, still waiting to be rescued.

Waterloo Sunset I walked down to the South Bank, past the London Eye to the old County Hall, but the crowds were just horrendous. I had had enough, needed a drink and some supper. Nothing too heavy, so I walked back to the club back the way i came, made my way to the bar and ordered salad. Yes, salad.

Anyway, it was good, but even better was the ice cold beer. Sometimes I wonder if I will meet someone here I used to work with, but that hasn't happened so far.

Once I had eaten, I go back to my room, and try to get some sleep, with the sounds of the big city leaking in through the open window.

No comments: