Friday 5 August 2016

Wednesday 3rd August 2016

I had been summoned to head office for a meeting. This meant changing my travel plans, getting a new hotel, and generally meaning another day in which little work would get done, we would have two meetings though. 5 hours of meetings.

Another splendid day greeted me as I drew the curtains, but I was a man on a mission, I had to pack, get dressed, check out have breakfast and get on the rad as soon as possible, as the traffic at Arhus is world famous. In Denmark. Anyway, I thought I would allow two and a half hours for an hour and a half journey. What could go wrong?

Not much in the end; Once out of Esbjerg, I cruised down the motorway tot e E45 junction at exactly 130kmh, not one over. Honest. It was tempting in the Audi, but even with lots of spare horses, I obeyed the law, oh yess, officer.

It shows how seriously the Danes take summer holiday, that this being the 4th week of it, traffic was light up for Velje to Arhus, and even on the ringroad to the office, at eight in the morning, there were no jams. I found a rock station to listen to, mostly it sounded all the same, but good enough. Until the ads came on. Anyway, radio is pretty much the world over, cheesy music and glib catchphrases, even if you don't understand what they're saying.

At the office too there were lots of spaces still free, so I parked up, and went in to meet my friends and colleagues. I had half an hour before the first meeting. Thankfully there was an almost limitless supply of coffee with which I could stay awake. Just as well.

A break for lunch, in time for the second meeting.

Meanwhile outside, it had clouded over, and rain was now falling in Biblical proportions, causing the road outside it turn in to a river. I tried not to look outside, it being more interesting than the meeting, and almost succeeded.

There was to be a team event in the evening. Beer. Steak. More beer. But not too much beer as I had to drive to the airport in the morning, and others had to work. Plans were made, meet in a bar at five.

I was done at half three, so drove round the ringroad to the Compound, or Scandic West as it is officially known to check in and have a shower. Its not the best hotel in the world, certainly the location isn't good, but it is handy for the office. A taxi would be required to get to the bar though, but I had a colleague to share the taxi with, and so share the costs.

I met Soren in the lobby at quarter to five, waited outside whilst he ruined his health with a coffin nail, the taxi then arrived. Soren spoke Danish, told him the address, the driver, looked like a pirate on his day off and spoke in a comedy raspy voice. He programmed the sat nav, drove out of the compound, turned left and nearly headfirst into a car coming the other way.

I screamed. Oh my God, we're going to die. Mr Pirate laughed.

But he settled down, stayed on the right side of the road for the most part, but did speed. A lot, but it meant getting to the bar quicker I suppose.

Manu was waiting outside, nursing a large Classic already. Rain had stopped, and there was even a hint of sunshine in the air. We joined him, ordered a beer, and one by one the other eight people arrive, includinf Sedin, who had the company credit card which the entire evening was to be paid with. Always good, that.

At six we walk to the restaurant, where we all order steak Bearnaise with bottles of wine to go round. Steak is always good, but good steak is better, and these were fine. And someone else was paying of course. We ate, drank and talked.

Opposite our large and rowdy table was a couple who were having a romantic meal. They looked a handsome couple, only inbetween courses, bot got out their mobile phones to check on their respective social media, I guess. They both sat for ten minutes, heads bowed, their eyes lit by the tiny screens of their phones.

There was time for five of us to walk to the Highlander Bar to meet up with Chris. We walk in and he is eating bangers and mash. He nearly chokes when he sees us. Handy knowing where someone was going to be.

Three rounds later, and we are all done, the ladies had long since abandoned us and gone home, but while there was drink to be drunk.

Soren and I take a cab back to the hotel; hurtling along deserted streets, lines with dark shops, jumping traffic lights and generally ignoring speed limits. All to a Europop beat. My head spun, but we got back safe and sound. I really am getting too old for this shit.

No comments: