Monday 29 August 2016

Sunday 28th August 2016

Any thought of going anywhere had been torpedoed after a truck struck a footbridge near Maidstone, causing it to collapse, and so since then all northbound traffic was going up the A2, so when a ferry docked it was very busy indeed. Saying that, we really didn't feel like going that far anyway. And with the weather being breezy and cool, maybe a day doing next to nothing.

I start off by first going outside in my slippers and dressing gown to put bird seed down, and bump into the local Goth walking by doing her makeup. She doesn't seem to mind, so I dont. I walk back inside and with a fresh coffee, settle down to watch the football, that the machine had recorded because the channel had not been changed as the Olympics had finished. Halfway through I pause it and go make bacon butties. I return to watch the football, this season sans Norwich of course, which makes for more pleasant viewing, as I don't have to hide behind the sofa now when they're on like last year.

Foolishly I had said two days previously that maybe I should go over to Whitfield to meet the old folks, as in truth I really have not seen them since Nan's funeral. Jools reminded me of this rash promise several times until relented and agreed to go. Not much has really changed there since Nan went into the home; Tony still smokes like a chimney and talks about the past a lot. Jen's Mum is going slowly peculiar, but then she is 96 this year so that's allowed, but her erratic demands are getting the ever-cheerful Jen down at times. And Jen is, well, Jen. All smiles, making tea and coffee and bubbling with energy.

After an hour we leave, to come home and have lunch: leftover crusty bread with apricot jam. Simple food for simple times.

The weather is still cloudy and breezy, so there is the radio, then the football to listen to, before I start dinner; rib eye and sweetcorn with garlic mushrooms and sauteed potatoes. And champagne! Yes, a bottle of fizz to celebrate my birthday and my recent good fortune at work. Oh, yes it pays to be good, apparently.

We are stuffed like plush toys, so sit on the sofa and watch a documentary about Greece, and how it is coping in the modern world; that their problems with the EU are blamed on unfinished business from the war and the Nazi occupation, and the influx of refugees; you can build a wall as high as you like, they would still run from war towards a better life.

Sobering stuff, but also wise words.

No comments: