Friday 19 August 2016

Wednesday 17th August 2016

First full day back in Denmark, and the sun is blazing down already from a clear blue sky. This is not the Denmark I know!

And I have a meeting at seven in the morning, so have to be up at six, getting ready and heading to the office after a rushed breakfast.

Once at the office, we go out into the yard, not without reason called the Sahara, as the crushed stones that make up the reclaimed land can be subject to dust devils and worse when the wind blows. Or on a day like this it can be as unforgiving as the desert.

The turbine sections stand spread out, most ready for transportation prior to installation. It is quite a sight; 26 complete towers standing tall with a huge installation vessel behind, 24 nacelles lined up looking for all the world like spaceships. And the blade sets, not so many of them, but arranged in photogenic stack system. I wish I could show you pictures, but I can't.

I realised today, that this is my world now, full of the remarkable and modern things that make the modern world possible. No longer for me the rows of chicken carcasses, but huge wind turbines, ready for 20 year service out in the North Sea.

How did I get here?

I have no idea.

That done there are always meetings to fill the day, and to eat left over food for other meetings. It all works out.

At three when the rest of the site finishes, I decide to go back to the hotel to relax and listen to the radio; I send a mail, then lay on the bed and fall asleep for two hours. I wake up some time after six, the radio still on, and outside the sun beginning to drop low in the west.

I go for dinner in the hotel; artichoke ravioli, not at all like the stuff in cans from Heinz. Much better. Better too with a glass of red and some fresh bread and salted butter. I know how to roll.

There is Olympic football on the TV later, Germany v Nigeria, its pretty good; Germany win, of course. Then I go to bed, worrying sleep would not come after my combat kip earlier.

No comments: