Friday 26 August 2016

Thursday 25th August 2016

Today, I turn 51. And after four weeks traveling, on and off, I decide that after dropping the car off, I would play hooky. I had told my manager of this plan, and said that I would have my phone with me in case of emergencies So all was set.

Wednesday night was so darned hot. I guess I must have slept at some point, but it seems I tossed and turned for hours, and work when the alarm went off at six feeling like I had less than an hour.

Happy Birthday sings Jools to me. I smile. It seems that I am more ready for this year's borthday than last year, which passed in a blur with little or no thought what we would do. But this year I had booked a meal in Canterbury for the evening.

A walk back home after dropping the hire car off Jools feeds the cats and makes coffee. The morning passes in a little bit of a blur. Jools is ready to go, so we say "bye", then it is up to me to put out the bins, have breakfast and so be ready to drive to the Eastern Docks for about eight. My plan had been to drop the car off, then walk back along the cliffs to home, getting some phys after three days of either sitting in the hire car driving or in meetings. A bit of a leg-stretcher. Although I almost changed my mind when Jools said there was a taxi rank outside the terminal and I could do that, as it was going to be so hot all day.

A walk back home after dropping the hire car off In the end, cloud appeared soon after dawn, but I was sure that the cloud would soon burn off. To make sure I didn't change my mind, I grab my camera and fit the macro lens on, hoping to see some butterflies. So no excuse now for bottling out!

There was little traffic about as I drove the couple of miles to the port, down Jubilee Way and into the small car park near the terminal. The office has just opened, so I hand over the keys and I am waved bye meaning that they will sort out the paperwork in due course. I was free.

A walk back home after dropping the hire car off I walk back across the car park, over the entrance road to the port to East Cliff and then doubling back up the steep path leading up the cliffs. The sun had indeed burnt off the clouds, and it was getting just the uncomfortable side of warm, meaning I had to stop several times as I struggled up the steep path to the cliff tops. Down below, a ferry was disgorging it's payload of cars, caravans and lorries. Lots of lorries. But as I went higher, their sounds grew dimmer and dimmer,until the slight breeze carried it away from me.

A walk back home after dropping the hire car off Along the top for a while, then down the narrow path leading to the cliff road, which in turn steadily climbs up to the top of Langdon Hole. I could have carried on the road, looping back round to meet at the top of Langdon Cliff, but I felt that I should push myself, so take the short cut down another steep path and back up the other side.

A walk back home after dropping the hire car off From the top of Langdon Cliff, where I pause to catch my breath and take a few shots, before pushing on to Fan Bay and the still closed Deep Shelter.

A walk back home after dropping the hire car off From there I take the old military road for the quicker more direct route to South Foreand Light, and from there cutting across through the bramble path and the harvested fields back into the village. Through the churchyard and into the village shop, where I buy an ice cream, as I thought I deserved one. And then the final leg down and then up Station Road to home.

A walk back home after dropping the hire car off Phew, its a scorcher! Too hot to sit outside, I take to the sofa with a pint, and then a second of squash to try to cool down. I have a shower, put on some clean clothes, and I feel just about OK once again.

The day passes; there is no emergencies at work, so the phone doesn't ring. I have lunch, listen to the radio and finally open my cards.

Jools comes home at the usual time, and rishes to get ready as we have to pick up a friend at half six so we can go to Canterbury for dinner. Lawrence was the person who planted the seed of us going to Japan as he did a trip a few years back, and we met him last winter when we were still planning the trip. So now we could meet up again and compare stories and thoughts on the country, whilst eating Japanese food!

Northgate, Canterbury I had done a google search and found such a place in Canterbury, booked a table and so we were set.

Once in the city, we stopped at a micro pub for a beer, and from there it was just a 30 second walk to the restaurant. It wasn't flash, but the food was authentic as it gets, really, and we enjoyed it.

Northgate, Canterbury By the time we finished, and had had another drink it was nine and getting dark; so we go back to the car and drive back, dropping Lawrence off at his house and then making our way back along Reach Road so we could look out over The Channel to the twinkling lights in France.

Northgate, Canterbury Back home I pour myself a wee dram of Japanese whisky, and we retire to the patio, as inside the house it was so hot and humid. Planes and satellites pass overhead, bats wheel in the garden as another birthday draws to an end.

No comments: