Thursday 8 September 2016

Tuesday 6th September 2016

It is another glorious late summer day here in Denmark. I am woken by the sun streaming through a gap in the curtains, who knew cold, wet, windy Denmark could be like this. And from what my friends say, it is going to get even warmer as the weekend gets nearer.

I have to pack and check out because I have to be in Arhus for a meeting on Wednesday, so I rush round hoping not to forget anything.

At the office its the usual stuff, but being in the same building as people I converse with via mail or phone means issues are sorted out in seconds rather than hours or days.

I go for a walk around the site, looking at all the massive components that are for our project. Its an amazing thing, I am responsible for hundreds of millions of Euros worth of kit, or the quality of it anyway. I try not to think about it too much. I wish I could show you pictures of them all, but due to commercial sensitivity, I can't. But trust me it impresses even me.

Pacific Osprey As I don't work from an office so as it was my birthday a couple of weeks back, I aid I would buy cake when I was next in Esbjerg. Dorthe takes me to the local supermarket where I can buy four! strawberry cakes, all covered in fresh cream and split strawberries. The do look good, but taste even better.

Arhus, Denmark Two comes round and I have to make tracks, drive up to Arhus along the two motorways, then fight my way through the traffic in town to the hotel.

It was still a glorious day, so with the windows wound down, I blasted up the motorway to Horsens, then up the next one to Arhus south, taking the road into the city, bearing left to the hotel, finally turning into the hotel car park just before the art museum.

I was here a little early as I was going to meet with some friends, so I check in and find I was put on the executive floor, the main difference appaently that the room had one of those coffee pod machines, that I never got round to using over the two nights.

Downtown I go down to meet Anni and Bo at six, and we walk to a local bar, where I am harangued by the local bar fly as to why leaving the EU was a good idea. He shouts at me from across the bar whilst we try to ignore him. His attention wanes and is soon aruing with the couple of blokes playing pokeydie at the bar. More shouting.

Anni and Bo are good, but they both work long days, so we stay just for the one beer, talk for about an hour, then they must go home to get an early night. I still have to find a place to eat, so I take myself to the Highlander where Julian makes me fresh fish and chips which I wash down with a couple of pints of hopped Danish IPA. It was good, and we chatted a little.

Downtown But with an important meeting in the morning, I stop at two pints and walk back to the hotel, down the canal to the centre of town, then up through the shopping area.

No comments: