Friday 30 September 2016

Wednesday 28th September 2016

Unusually, I am spending 5 days away from home this week, which means Wednesday is the halfway point, kinda. So, should be happy. And to mix things up a bit, I am spending the second half of the week in sunny Esbjerg. But before I can make the drive down south, I have to have a meeting. Another meeting. And another meeting.

So I pack, shower and get dressed and go downstairs to check out, load the car and have breakfast. It is your typical business hotel, people from countries all round the world, all mixing eating what passes for breakfast in Denmark, which consists of mainly bacon and dairy stuff.

I have fruit and a bacon roll along with lots of coffee. Not sure if its the people I mix with now but there just isn't a lot of manners with these business types, with no please and thank yous as the staff try to keep the tables clear as a constant stream of people coming and going.

I drive to the office, just wanting to get there as soon as possible. The weather had turned autumnal, a cool breeze was blowing and leaves fell from the tree like snow in a blizzard.

After lunch I bid my colleagues farewell and take the car out onto the main road to the motorway and drive south. The day had brightened, so it was an OK drive, and leaving at one in the afternoon meant there was little traffic about. Once i headed out on the Esbjerg motorway, traffic thinned, and i put the hammer down, cruising at 130 kmh, and eating up the miles.

Near to Esbjerg, the two mighty turning V164 turnines could be seen towering over the surrounding trees and other turbines. There are our two new babies, generating 8MW.

Once in the office, I speak to the guys, try to catch up with how things are going, answer some mails, and somehow three hours pass, and it is time to go to the hotel to check in.

The Olympic isn't the grandest of hotels, but the rooms are OK, and the food, although rarely varies, I know the burgers are fine. And even wanting to order something healthy, with the people on the next table getting huge burgers as I look at the menu, I find myself wanting just that.

So I do. Cheeseburger and onion rings. Lovely unhealthy.

I could have walked to the Dronning Louise, maybe I will next time I'm in town, but I am tired, just want something close to my room to eat, so I can go back up, listen to the radio and watch the football.

Which I do.

And the evening passes.

No comments: