Thursday 1 September 2016

Wednesday 31st August 2016

The final day of summer?

Well, as I wrote in several previous year's posts written on the first day of September, that month has an "r", which means that if not wintery weather can take place, it can be changeable. Saying that, it is susually the best month of the year for weather here in Kent. That reason is why we had our wedding in the middle of September, so the good weather whilst not a certainty it was more likely.

And for this Wednesday, I was home alone as usual during the day, but as Jools was going for a meal with her colleagues in the evening, I would be home alone until eight in the evening at least, maybe even later. And that meant being left alone in the house with the cats for at least 13 hours. Sadly, work would also have to take place.

Jools runs around getting ready for work, making breakfast and making coffee. I stumble about barely being able to put one foot in front of the other. Then she is gone, and the house is quiet. Well, except ever ten minutes for the first hour as each cat comes in, goes out, come in demanding food or something else.

Situation normal.

I have a task to complete, and the only way to do it is to create a spreadsheet; Jools would be so proud. I then have to copy and paste data from another source. Rinse and repeat for 5 hours until it was done. Then with two click the data is sortable, and is so much more useful. Hoorah for me. But it had taken most of the day to complete, and possibly would not be needed, but hey.

Throughout the day, I was kept entertained by the transfer window; I wrote about this yesterday, and despite feeling about it the way I do, it is kinda compulsive to witness as the amounts of money being handed over got ever larger, and then commentators tried to justify it all. Norwich weren't very active, but other teams were, and some of their purchases created gasps of amazement. It all came to an end at eleven at night.

I had to cook dinner: yet more cold pasta salad left over from the weekend, so I cooked some sausages to go with it. I also made a huge pan of chili, this is for tomorrow and the rest for the freezer to create some easy-to-make dinners when time is short. Standing in front of a boiling pot of chili for two hours may sound like fun, but I knew it would be worth it once done. And once it cooled, I put portions into plastic boxes prior to putting in the freezer. A proper little house-husband I am.

The radio plays, and the BBC Sportsday website updates itself for 15 hours, endless repeating the news form earlier in the day. This is what the modern world is, but then you go off for a few minutes but fret that you might have missed a major transfer. You never did of course. But still.

I water the plants again, check on the acorn squash, kill a few snails. And then I am followed everywhere by at least one of the cats. Mainly Molly.

It is getting dark now before eight, and pitch black by half eight. And still Jools is not home. Nine comes and goes and the phone rings: she is coming home.

She tells me she went for a walk along Dymchurch beach before the meal, which was as pleasant as you would have thought.

We stay up until beyond ten. Beyond eleven even. I pour a we dram. I have another, and once the football related malarkey ends, we sit in the back garden looking at the majesty of creation spread above our heads for our enjoyment.

No comments: