Friday 25 November 2016

Monday 21st November 2016

And it all began so well.

In fact, despite what happened to the train, more of that in a minute, it was a good trip over, but id act as a reminder that what becomes ordinary really is quite incredible the way the modern world fits together.

The alarm went off at quarter to five. Way too early to be called morning, more like middle of the night still. I get dressed, go down stairs and Jools has made coffee, I feel we are ahead of the curve. And then checking on Twitter I seee that my train had been cancelled.

It needed a change of plan, meaning going to Dover instead, and then having breakfast at the airport rather than at Stratford. Oh, and the train would be packed with passengers from two trains trying to get onboard.

At Dover, a lot of people got on a train bound for Charing Cross, I suppose getting out at Ashford for a connecting train, so there was a few more people than normal on the train as we left. Folkestone was different, with people standing after Folkestone West, and people standing between the seats up the length of the carriage. And then at the last stop, Ebbsfleet, yet more people crammed on.

Of course what this did mean is that those of us who wanted to get off at Stratford, would have to fight to get off.

Dawn broke as we zoomed up to London. I was sitting on the other side of the train, so saw a different view out of the windows once it was light enough. There was fog at the Medway, and miles of standing traffic; we bombed through at over a hundred, a blur in the mist.

We pull in at Stratford, and it was a squeeze to get to the luggage rack, get the case out and then get off the train before the doors closed again. I apologised to everyone I hit with the case or my work bag, and those that I missed too. But I did get off.

No time for breakfast, I went straight to the DLR station, got on a waiting train and was on my way to the airport within two minutes. All back on track.

And then at the airport, II check in, go through security, and find the waiting area, now double in size and more crowded than ever. And I have a meeting to attend.

I find a quiet corner, set up the laptop on my kness, connect to the free wif fi, attach headphones and connect to the meeting. And it worked. It is amazing really, how connected we can be, and easy when all the stuff works as it should.

I treat myself to a coffee and a sandwich after the meeting ended, and then had to wait as there was a lot of delays caused by low cloud and fog. We wait and wait, and nearly an hour late, the small plane lands, inbound passengers get off, and we wait to get on.

We take off an hour and five minutes late and once in the air enter low cloud and Blighty is lost from view. And being in cloud means the plane jumps around like a frisky mustang, and I pray to be back on firm ground. But it settles down, and is smooth enough to accept the offer of breakfast, coffee and juice.

It is cold and cloudy in Denmark, with the promise of rain, which is soon realised. But I have a BMW 320, and am happy. Just have an hour drive to Esbjerg in which to enjoy it, but enough traffic to power past so I could use all them horses.

Work is the same whatever office I am in, just the people are different, so I get a chance to say hello all my friends, share a coffee, before getting down to it. Outside, the rain falls.

In the hotel for five, checked in and in my room on the 3rd floor. It is already dark, and I decide I can't be bothered with a walk up the main street to Dronning Louise. So I eat in the hotel; burger and Christmas beer, perfect really. And then back in room for nine to find the WBA game on TV, but then fail to watch most of the game as the interwebs have seduced me. Albion run out 4-0 winners, and are happy.

Me, I'm tired and should have been in bed an hour ago.

No comments: