Friday 25 November 2016

Wednesday 23rd November 2016

Wednesday dawned cold and bright, with the sky clear and down well advanced. I was also moving hotels, so had to pack, check out then find a table for breakfast.

Back at the office, I deal with the overnight mails, file reports and stuff, so that by half nine I was twiddling my thumbs, so decide to leave for head office early and meet up with colleagues.

I go round saying goodbye to the guys in the office, always bad to have to leave, but I can only be in one place at a time, and I need to go. And I had a 90 minute drive in a BMW to look forward too, all in leather seated luxury.

Arhus at night I load the car and take my leave of the site one last time. I may return once more before the end of the work here, or might not. The project is relentless, like an express train. I need to go to the next station now.

Or head office as we call it.

It is a fine day to be on the road, driving east on a beautiful bright day in light traffic and in a car that cruises at 130 kmh effortlessly is a joy, putting my foot down to overtake something a little slower made the engine roar. This is work I said to myself, laughing.

I turn north along the E45, up to Arhus, in heavier traffic, but time passes quickly. And just by pure chance, I arrived at the office just before lunch meaning I could do some bean stealing and have a plate of healthy salad before the round of meetings began at one.

Arhus at night As the afternoon grew old, the traffic outside grew heavier and heavier. It would be like this until 5, when it would be OK to drive to the hotel in the centre. Most locals leave before three, then work a bit from home, I could do the same, but why bother, really.

I arrive at the hotel to find there were hundreds of pharmacists staying for a conference; they’ll be whacked out on crack and E all night I suspect, the animals. Anyway, they are lining up waiting to check in too, meaning it takes me half an hour. Just enough time to drop my bags in my room, change clothes and go out to meet friends.

Arhus at night Travel for work can be tiresome for sure, but if you can combine that with meeting friends, then so much the better. I walk across the park opposite, dodging mad cyclists on the main road, even if they do have right of way, maybe some lights would be useful, no?

Past the station and up the hill to The Diner, where Anni and Bo are waiting. Anni has a new job and Bo is now almost recovered from his health issues and looks in rude health. Anni is all smiles as she has a new job and is about to complete her degree course. Smart Lady.

Arhus at night We chat and laugh, eat burgers and drink beer. It is great to catch up, and wonderful to see them both doing so well.

Once we say our goodbyes, I walk down to the Highlander to meet up with Chris and Julian. Also in were a group of Indian buys, also in town for a conference. We play some bangra music, do some dancing and make fun of one of the locals who goes to the bar shouting “crisps!”

Arhus at night So Chris and I shout back, “Arse, drink, feck, nuns” Father Ted has a lot to answer for.

It is half ten when after “one last rum”, we take our leave and walk back up the frozen streets back to the hotel.

No comments: