Thursday 17 November 2016

Tuesday 15th November 2016

Halfway through another month, and thoughts turn to what I have achieved this year. So much I have, and we have, done. Phew, and with seven weeks or so to go, still much to cram in.

I am awoken by the sounds of seagulls circling over the hotel, I'm pretty sure this isn't a sign. Or a bad one anyways. I have slept in until seven, as I am due to meet Manu at half eight for the drive to Leuven, so think I have time.

Dawn in Oostende I am down for breakfast at half past, and soon I am joined by Manu who tells me we have to leave soonest due to "IT problems".

So the shower I was going to have was scrapped, I go back to my room and clean my teeth, nice and clean, and am down again in time to meet manu for the drive to the office so he can sort his IT out and raise a report.

His st nave says its 90 minutes to Leuven. No 2 hours. No, 1 hour 45. No, 90 minutes again. We were expec ting travel problems. Especially with mist making driving tricky, but Manu seems confident enough, I suspect he is driving with spider senses as we motor up the A10 to the main road east to Brussels and Leuven.

There are jams, but there are long clear stretches, so we make mostly good time, even if I have my eyes closed for some of the journey. A friend once said he always kept his eyes open when being driven as he wanted to see how he was going to die. I'm not so sure, and anyway, close shaves are too stressful. Oh look, cows. Farm. Train. More cows.

We arrive at the office by half ten, and join the meeting. Wish us luck.

No luck needed, as we are the four musketeers, defeating evil with a slash of our sabres of truth. Huzah!

We retire to The Consulat and order mid range Belgian beers, but my eye had already caught sight of the strong Christmas beer at 12%. I means that is basically wine with malt. But I do have one, and it is good, if powerful.

Our boss treats us to burgers again: I have a "For the Love of Fig" burger. Me neither. Anyway, it is fine and we wash it down with a Coke.

That leaves me with 40 minutes to walk through the bright streets of the town, with neon lights reflecting off the wet cobblestones of the old town, to the station where I buy a 1st class ticket to Oostende, then walk over to Spoor Tvey for it to arrive.

Thankfully there are lots of empty seats in first, so I take a seat facing forward then try to keep my eyes open. Easy at first as the train rattles its way through Brussels Nord, crossing over many tracks with wheels and bogies below creaking and screaming. Then through the tunnel under the centre, through Centraal station to Midi, then out into the Belgian countryside, mostly dark, so I stare at my reflection until my eyes droop and my mind wanders.

Through Gent and Brugge, trundling into Oostende at half eight, leaving me with a damp walk through the desrted streets of the town, through now-empty town squares and back to the hotel, just in time to find the British channel ITV on the TV so I can watch the England v Spain game.

England were leading 2-0 going nto the last 5 minutes, and playing well, and as a team too. But fatigue took its toll and Spain get two late goals to make it 2-2, but reason to be hopeful, maybe.

No comments: