Friday 4 November 2016

Wednesday 2nd November 2016

Another day in Oostende. See, Groundhog Day!

It is just getting light as I sit in the breakfast room, all alone but surrounded by food. There is fruit, rolls, bread, cakes, bacon, sausages, beans, cheese, ham, jam, marmalade, cheese, salmon, eggs, halibut. Yes, halibut; who has that for breakfast? Belgians, apparently, as its there every morning.

I meet Rune outside, as he is to dive me into work, and in his Audi A4, we drive at warp 9 the few miles to the office,. Seems like with a bunch of horses under the bonnet, even the most sensible of people think they should be used all at once.

And back in the office, drinking coffee, looking out the window, writing mails, and attending meetings. Rinse and repeat.

Rune and I go out for lunch, or drive to the nearby Texaco garage and order freshly filled rolls. Much nicer than they ought to be in truth. The garage is also a mini-mart (of course) but also a post office, and the hard working staff have to switch between tasks like crazy things.

Once back we sit at our desks and munch away, nom nom.

Simple things.

And then the sky fell in. And so all plans and meetings were cancelled as I fought fires.

Evening came and so I drove Rune and I back to our hotel, then met outside as we walked the few metres to the nearby Italian place for dinner. We have insalata caprese (no real surprise there, really) followed by spaghetti carbonara, the first time I have had it. Hmm, pasta, ham, cream and lots of pepper. Lovely.

Despite being dog tired, I sit up to watch the football and follow the other games on Twitter. I managed to miss the only goal in the Dortmund game, but clung on hoping to see more. But no, just one goal.

I make a promise to myself not to watch the games on Thursday........

No comments: