Saturday 21 January 2017

Friday 20th January 2017

Friday. At last.

Despite being at home, the week seems to have dragged. Having a short cold and sleeping poorly at times hasn't helped. But now it was nearly the weekend, and the clock was ticking.

You know the score by now, the alarm goes off, Jools goes down to feed the cats, make coffee, while outside dawn arrives, and the sky goes from indigo blue to orange and red. Just like every other morning this week. I can't remember a run of such glorious weather in January, not a breath of wind either. Wowzers.

Twenty I say goodbye to Jools, and she leaves for work. The heating is still warming up, so it is chilly in the house. I also have an audience as I make my breakfast, two of the three cats watch me carefully in case I go to feed them a 2nd breakfast.

I begin work, and as usual there is the usual stuff. I am in a good mood so I have the radio on in the background, as I work away. When the sun rises and shines in the back of the house, it makes the house seem incredibly warm. It feels like spring, although outside it is cooler, of course.

Despite having breakfast at seven, I find myself having lunch at half nine; cheese on toast seems like a good plan, so that's what I do, cutting thick slices of mature cheddar off the block.

When Jools comes back at three, it is time for me to finish for the day too. She has been shopping too, so no need to go to Tesco in the morning. We pack that away, make a brew and have a mince pie each to go with our coffees.

Outside the sun sinks in the west, and the sky turns to orange and then pink. It is fabulous.

And it is the weekend!

And being Friday, Jools goes to the chippy. Nothing like a freshly fried cod, with the batter so crispy, it shatters when you try to cut it.

After that, we watch some TV, some documentary on Naples, another place we have to visit. When I was there with Page and Moy, they told us it was a dangerous place, and bussed us between Pompeii and Herculaneum, and not to walk anywhere. The pictures made it look an incredible place, so much to see and do. And all sitting on top of a super-volcano. And there is as much of the city, underground, carved out of rock than can be seen above it. An amazing place.

No comments: