Sunday 1 January 2017

New Year's Eve

Hello, and welcome to 2017. But before we deal with the here and now, I must write about what happened yesterday. And before I write about that, there was a whole bunch of 2016 I did not touch upon in my review of the year yesterday.

And that is work. Work takes up a huge bunch of my time, as it does most people. Coupled in with the traveling and catching up on work in the evenings because of travel, and the fact I did 35 business trips last year. Going from a one day trip to Leuven on Eurostar to a whole 5 days away, traveling on weekends so to be able to attend meetings.

My current project went from only existing only on paper, through to sub-components being manufactured, then the towers, then nacelles and finally blades manufactured. These were then delivered to our site in Esbjerg before being prepared for load out. And then, once the vessel had sailed to site, one by one the turbines were installed. And now we find ourselves doing the work that is required for these turbines to be tested before producing power.

It has been quite a ride, with highs and lows, and sometimes I had to call on the support of many others in my organisation. At times I have lost sleep, but in time, difficulties were overcome.

I don't talk too much about work, because of commercial considerations. Some who know the business might have a guess why I might have been in that town or that city, I think I have kept details to the bare minimum. One day I might tell more about what I do, but for now I can't, other than things are progressing with the project.

And, for now, that is enough.

Anyway. To yesterday. To last year.

We wake up late, the light peeping round the edge of the curtains seemed pale. When I looked outside, there was a thick covering of dark cloud, that did not look like it would deliver any sunshine.

The day before we had cleared the final cold meat from under their cellophane wrappings, now there was two aging backs of bacon and half a large game pie to see off. Bacon is easy, just grill until crispy, put between slices of buttered bread. And serve with a steaming cuppa. Lovely.

That done comes the annual task of summing up the old year. SOmehow this has now snowballed into a seven hour slog, detailing songs, books, etc and highlights of the year. Somehow I though a month by month review would be good. This gives me the chance to post pictures I may not have previously put up. Anyway, seemed like a good idea at nine in the morning, by lunchtime I had only started on the monthly reviews, and doing this meant scrolling through the month by month folders on Flickr to get a feeling on what each month was about.

New Year's Eve Thumper At half twelve, I went out to drive to Shepherdswell so to snap a train. Well, it has to be a train as the orchid season isn't open, right?

Anyway, in grey and gloomy conditions, but in light traffic I drove to Whitfield then along the A2 before turning off down the narrow lanes to Shepherdswell, parking outside the station and having half an hour before the train was due.

Exit I went up on the footbridge, as this gives good views as trains emerge from the tunnel portal. And then begins the waiting.

Standing there with two bags of camera equipment elicited glances from dog walkers who use the bridge as a safe way over the railway than the bridge on the cluttered main road.

I saw lights reflected on the rails, got ready to snap, but a Networker until thundered through without stopping, but I fired a few shots off to make sure of exposure and freezing motion. And 5 minutes later, more lights, or light, could be seen.

New Year's Eve Thumper Showtime.

It got nearer, the light got brighter, and then there was the distinctive noise of the engine: thump, thump, thump. Hence the name, Thumper. Anyway, it emerged from the tunnel, I fired off shots, but even for a basic and vintage train, it rattled along and was soon passing under the bridge, I fired more shots as it cleared the station and powered up the slight rise towards Canterbury.

All done, in about 30 seconds.

New Year's Eve Thumper I pack up and walk to the car to drive home and make lunch. pork pie and a beer/cider.

And back to the blog, with the main tranche of games that will fill the afternoon. Just as the games end at quarter to five, I post the blog, then spend the next hour correcting the mistakes and errors. Job done.

New Year's Eve Thumper I make sausage rolls as we listen to Norwich play on the radio, as TV dictated that City should kick off at half five on New Year's Eve, when the fans would find it impossible to get back from West London. We drew 0-0, and could be considered an improvement.

For the evening's entertainment, there is something recorded on the telly box, MOTD and then Piano Blokey to watch as the years splutters to a thankful death. We won't miss it.

New Year's Eve Thumper There is good music on the show, even if Jools plays bloody honkey tonk at every opportunity, and the usual suspects of Ruby Murray and Roland Rivron. We tried the Rumtopf. I tried more, just to be sure, and a third glass just make sure it was good.

Midnight came and went, and bloody 2016 was laid to rest.

New Year's Eve Thumper Jools Holland played honky tonk into the wee small hours. We made the cold sausage rolls and a bag of honey coated peanuts vanish.

No comments: