Friday 6 January 2017

Thursday 5th January 2017

I set the alarm for half six, and after girding my loins for another day in the freezer, I looked out of the hotel window, and even from a distance of 50m, I could see the hoar frost on the cars across the road in the car park.

Brrrr.

I get ready for work, go down for breakfast. At least the Danes know how to cook bacon; streaky rashers cooked until crisp. And so perfect in a fresh roll with lashings of butter melting from the heat of the bacon. And a fresh cup of coffee is perfect. Anyway, lets go outside.

Five Lets not, its bloody cold.

But I have to, walk over to the car, start it up, clear the screen. Find the heated seat button, and soon I am toasty warm. Warm enough for the five minute drive to the office.

Through the morning, as people come in from the yard, their glasses cloud over with condensation and their cheeks are ruddy red. Strangely, I have enough work to keep me in the office and so not go outside. Strange that.

At the end of the day Anyway, the day passes, meetings come meetings go. Lunchtime passes, the sun makes its passage across the sky, and the temperature drops even lower outside. I had tried to arrange a team meal out, but one by one the team dropped out, until it was just Brian and me. So, we picked a time that was good for us and would meet in the lobby of the hotel at half five and walk to 200m to Flammen.

Flammen in a chain that does meat. All kinds of meat. On a bbq. And its eat as much as you like, and with salad too. People like Flammen. Danes like Flammen. But I do worry about vegetarians in Denmark, they must go hungry. I have ribs, lamb, stuffed pork, chicken wings and venison. All lovely and drizzled with red wine sauce.

I know how to roll.

But, its best not to eat too much, least the meat sweats come during the night. And the indigestion.

We bid farewell. Times are changing, and who knows where or what we will be doing come the end of it. But it will be an adventure, and our friendship shall endure.

Back in my room, I cannot turn the heating/ventilation off, so take to keep warm, so snooze on and off for two hours watching Denmark play handball. I have no idea what was going on, but it was exciting. Doubly so as I did not know how long each half would be, so not quite sure when the game would end.

Anyway, home tomorrow.

No comments: