Sunday 17 April 2022

Saturday 16th April 2022

We should have been seeing Sparks in concert on Saturday.

I fact we still could have.

They were playing over the border in Sussex, we had tickets. We've had tickets for two years.

But there is the uncertainty over fuel. We managed to fill up on Friday evening on the way back from Jen's, so had 460 miles we could do, but if we did go, and use half a tank of gas, there was no guarantee that we could top the tank up on Sunday, leaving Jools with barely enough fuel to get to work and back this week.

It was a hard decision, we had been dreaming of seeing Ron and Russel for over two years, and now were going to have to give up and not go.

Darn it.

We both agreed not to go, so we were happy with that, not with not going, but the reasons for not going.

But we would make the best of it.

Jen was coming for dinner on Sunday, but I needed some bones to make stock, so best go to the butchers.

And as I was ut, thought I would go to Sandwich Bay to check on the Green Wing Orchids before the golfers took over the course.

It was a glorious morning, low, golden sun filling the land with warm light. And warm with it.

In most places, daffodils are going over, but on the estate, they golden soldiers stood to attention, demanding to be photographed. So I stopped and took a couple looking into the sun.

Springtime at the Bay I have a pass for the estate now, so don't have to pay as long as I only went as far as the observatory. But I would be just five minutes, so drove to the Strand, parked by the footpath gate, and with the buzz of mowers in the air, trimming already trimmed greens, I went in.

I didn't have to look long, two stunted spikes, one party open, the other pretty good, though hiding in the long grass. I took my shots and walked back to the car.

One hundred and six No fines were received.

I drove back out through the estate and on through the deserted town, through its narrow streets and out the other side back onto the bypass.

Stuck behind a tractor, I went out over the marshes to Nash, then across to Preston. It was seven fifteen.

I thought the boys were still putting out stock, but no, they were nearly sold out. Had a massive day on Friday, and had 1 (one) chicken, 4 (four) lamb chops and no beef, pork or lamb joints. All four were on duty, with not much to sell.

I get some bones, a rump steak, chipolatas and back to make pigs in blankets, and that was it.

I pay and make my way back to the car and home.

THere was almost no traffic to speak of, so I got home and we pondered whether to go to the concert or not.

Not.

I make sausage baps and brews, of course. Prepare the steak for later.

Nothing else.

I sit in the garden to read, the sun felt warm on my face. In the garden, swarms of insects fed on newly opened flowers. Its our little bit of heaven.

Football in the afternoon, Norwich playing at the Theatre of Revised Expectations, Old Trafford. It was a hopeless task before kick off, but gifting Utd two golas shows we deserve to go down.

Then the amazing thing happened, we fought back to 2-2, and were the better side.

For a time.

Utd made changes, swapping internationals for other internationals, Ronaldo scored a free kick, and that was that.

At the same time, Liverpool were playing in the Cup semi-final, against Citeh. A good game was expected, but 'Pool 3-0 up at half time. A Citeh fightback, but ended 3-2.

At full time I cook dinner. Make garlic mushrooms, boil some corn, fry the potatoes and griddle the steak. All done in about half an hour.

The steak was huge, and even I struggled to finish it, but it was too good to leave.

Phew.

After an hour, we tidy up, out the back a yellow full moon was rising, and in the garden, a young fox ate peanuts.

Our little piece of heaven.

No comments: