Monday 27 May 2024

Sunday 26th May 2024

Jools woke up with a cold. Sneezing and coughing, so she would be going nowhere, and as for me, my knee was not as bad, needed some phys, but probably not up a down.

One hundred and forty seven We had a coffee and breakfast of fruit, and I then lollygagged around waiting for quarter to ten to tick by, so I could go to Tesco for Jools to get some medicated tissues.

Lycaena phlaeas And then go on to Sandwich.

Tesco isn't that mad on the middle Sunday of a Bank Holiday weekend, though those having to work have that thousand yard stare of those who have been in combat for some time.

Coenonympha pamphilus I go in, get the tissues and am out in two minutes.

I drove out of the car park and onto the Sandwich road, pretty empty at this time of day, and pretty good to be out.

A coterie of Lizard Orchids I am now a paid up member of the reserve, so no need to pay, so flash my pass at the estate gate and am allowed in, though only allowed to go to the observatory, though I heard later people drive all over with a pass.

Lizard and Man Orchids I park up, check in with the desk, and then go out to cross the meadow on my way to the golf course and The Strand beyond.

Orobanche minor In comes my friend John, who tells me about a colony of Man Orchids to see, and we catch up with news of each other's lives.

Orobanche minor We are both retiring next year: he from being a tour guide and running his shop, and me from any kind of meaningful work.

Orobanche caryophyllacea We shake hands and I go out, recent rains had left past of the path pretty muddy, but no issue.

Orobanche caryophyllacea I quickly tick off a Small Heath and Small Copper butterfly, snapping them both, but the Small Copping apparently paler than I am used to.

Silene conica There are two Southern Marsh spikes in the meadow, but none on the path to the ringing cages, so I double back to cross the golf course.

Dactylorhiza praetermissa Despite my comments about the be-Pringled, they are good sorts, I wait for the first group to finish their tee shots, they then wave me on, all civilised stuff.

Himantoglossum hircinum I see my first spikes of Lizard Orchids, none in flower, but nearer to the Strand they are.

Himantoglossum hircinum Also I see large numbers of one of our rarest plants, Bedstraw Broomrape, a hemi-parasitic plant that smells faintly of cloves, thus giving its more common name, Clove-scented broomrape.

Orchis anthropophora I make it to the Strand, and walk down a few hundred yards, taking shots of the Lizards in flower and the broomrapes, at one point an orchid and broomrape growing next to each other.

Orchis anthropophora On the way back I found the colony of Man Orchids, about 8 to ten spikes, going to seed at the bottom, but the top looking good. I get shots before turning to the gate back across the golf course.

Orchis anthropophora Back in the observatory, I meet back with John who tells me of a colony of Bee Orchids, which just happens to be on my way home. So that's settled.

Ophrys apifera Back to the car and off towards Deal before turning off, and just where he said, I find about ten large Bee Orchid spikes around a new housing development.

Ophrys apifera As I get my shots, an automated announcement tells me I am trespassing and should vacate the area, but I was on public land and no bother to anyone.

Ophrys apifera Back home through Deal, with all parking spaces full what with it being: the seaside, bank holiday and sunny. But I go on, turning back along the coast road to home where Jools is coughing whilst waiting.

Ophrys apifera There was time for lunch before the afternoon's play off final between Leeds and Southampton: Leeds's manager was a previous Norwich manager and Southampton's was our previous captain.

Both play attractive football, so I really didn't mind who won. But was a poor game, so much at stake, and many mistakes made. But Southampton scored the only goal, and although Leeds pushed hard, and hit the bar, they were second best on the day.

For the evening I spent an hour uploading shots to BlueSky for #wildflowerhour.

As you do.

No comments: