Saturday 11 July 2020

Friday 10th July 2020

We are gathered here today to remember our sometime friend, Mr Cross-Trainer.

He was always there for us, as a clothe's horse or something to stub your toe on as you went to the facilities in the middle of the night.

Mr Cross-Trainer had been enjoying an upsurge in popularity this year, and it seemed that we would watch the odo go round the clock and start again at zero. That will not happen, as it now appears too dangerous and noisy to use.

This I found out late in the afternoon after Jools had done her session, I needed to do one to keep track. Less than 3 minutes in, I stop, as the banging and clanking was too much. We have toyed with the idea of stripping it down to see what is wrong. But it is the bearing, or seems like it. Feels like it is terminal, so we are to get a new one, soon as we can get one delivered. The one chosen is more easily moved, so when we have visitors, we can make more room in the spare room.

I just need some friends now.....

Why had I not done exercise in the morning? Well, the noise the machine made meant we were worried it might wake the neighbours. So, Jools went to the promenade for her early morning yoga class. I look at the weather and the BBC claimed there was a 98% chance or rain.

Yellow Bartsia Parentucellia viscosa Hmmmm.

As it was green collection day (garden waste), I pulled some more wild carrot, and put the bags out. I would have done more, but the steady drizzle was getting harder. Maybe it wasn't raining in Dover.

It was also raining in Dover, making some poses difficult and/or dangerous.

I was settling into the early morning meeting when Jools returned. They had skipped the sea swimming session, as they were wet enough already!

Not much to report with the morning session of work; two meetings, the second one our auditor's alignment meeting where we auditors talk about audits and audit findings. But due to the previous meeting over-running my 15 minutes and the next one with our new boss's boss, we only have 45 minutes of audit-based chat before we log out and log on the new meeting.

One hundred and ninety two All sounds good, I mean hearing IT guys talk about IT and IT strategy is all well and good, but I had another task to do. I had to get the evidence I am indeed British and am entitled to work here for my employer. That I have worked for them for a decade, used my passport and driving licence as part of my job wasn't enough, UK Home Office wanted a signed statement and scans of the documents. And the only nearby office was my old one in Ramsgate.

I arranged a visit, where someone would be on hand to do the deed. As it were.

Jools and I drive over, along the A256 to Richborough, past where the power station used to be, and onto Ramsgate. Through the tunnel to the old ferry port, which is now a new car storage area. Although the berth were still there and could soon be working, they are narrower than usual, so very few ferries could use them, and the ships that used to sail from here were impounded and sold to Greece. It was from Ramsgate that the company Chris Grayling contracted to be a ferry company were to operate out from. Though they had no ferries, at all let alone special narrow ones.

Partial eclipse of the sun I arrive at the gate, buzz to be let in. I have to reverse park, and park straight or the site manager will complain. There is a signing in book, some hand sanitiser. I use both and go upstairs where I have not been for seven year.

Oh hello, where the hell have you been?

Long story. But now I'm back!

I scan my passport and driving licence, which I believe to be illegal, but my employer needed it. It is signed. We chat, but they have work to do, so I leave, sign out and drive the car back out.

On the way home we go to the butcher in Preston to pick up an order. Its only a few miles out of our way. And once collected and paid, we go back to Sandwich but decide to stop at the greasy spoon in the layby for early lunch.

They have nothing healthy on offer. Good.

I have a bap filled with two slices of Lorne square sausage, two hash browns and two fried eggs.

Jools has a cheese burger.

We eat standing in the lay by, grease dripping down our chins. As it should be.

We drive home with heavy stomachs. How on earth do truck drivers do this all day? I just want to curl up and sleep it off.

Back home I have the final meeting of the day with my boss, who is also going on holiday, so is also in a good mood. She has no issues, and is happy how the last ten months has gone. As am I.

All admin done, I set my out of office message and I am outta there.

Goodnight Vienna.

It was then I tried to do my session on the cross trainer.

So, I have a shower, a shave and a clean set of clothes. All ready for a spanking weekend.

I make breaded pork steaks, leftover cous cous, stir fry and the last of the season's asparagus. Oh and more creamed spinach.

All yummy and went together well.

And it was seven in the evening, how was that possible?

We watch Gardener's World and somehow another crazy day was over. We go to bed with it still being light.

No comments: