Friday 25 June 2021

Orchidiots

I like an orchid or two, and on that I cannot lie.

I try to keep the mania within the boundaries of Kent, where possible. And try to pass on the knowldge and passion to others, mainly in my FB group, but sometimes to those I meet out "in the field".

But, the orchid world is competitive, and some want to be top dogs.

I first saw it when two friends, who both knew more than I about orchids and other plants, so who have so much in common and yet hated each other. And still do.

Who knew most, or if one made a mistake was mocked by the other.

I liked both, to be honest, and let them get on with it.

And then one demanded, demanded, I tell them the site of a reserve in Norfolk that I once visited, and how to get there. I did what I could, but that wasn't enough, so I tried to explain, but apparently I owed them.

I failed to respond to further mails, defriended them on social media sites, so they now post shots of plants claimed to have been seen in the county in the hope I will ask them. I'm guessing that's the reason, but who knows and cares, to be honest.

And then, on a related matter, though different people:

Last year a new species was found in the county, it was reported, but no one was sharing the location. News was that it was beside a motorway, and the only person who seemed to know for sure was the county recorder, who wasn't telling anyone, not even the BSBI.

And then on Tuesday, shots of it appeared on various social media. A fine looking orchid, but conditions were made of being shared the location that certain well-known people in the orchid field could not be told.

So sad, so childish.

And then one of them tried to post shots in my group.

All this leaves a sour taste in the mouth, that people I have helped in the past would actively stop each other from knowing locations of a rare orchid to show they know more.

In the end, is it worth it?

No comments: