Sunday 27 June 2021

Saturday 26th June 2021

The weekend.

I have been pondering on how to recount this tale without revealing the location.

Well, here goes.

Last year southern European Orchid was found in the UK for the first time, in East Kent no less. But the location was kept very quiet. It's reporting began in the 2020 BSBI reports for the two Kent vice-counties (eat and west). Needless to say, people asked and asked, but the location was kept secret. I received a couple of enquiries earlier this year, but I knew nothing, and talking with people better placed and I said the county recorders were not telling.

So far, so dull.

And then early this week pictures began to appear of the orchid in question. It seems that a small group of people had shared the knowledge and were going to snap it.

No one told me.

I called in a couple of half-favours, and I was told the grid reference. I did wonder wether to go Friday evening, but though better of it, and waited to Saturday for a day out taking in this orchid.

So it was that we woke up just gone six to find the shouse and whole village shrouded in fog. Most un-June like to be sure. Should be delay the trip out? I had restless feet, so we leaft home after coffee at half seven, with the fog having cleared and the sun shone from a clear blue sky.

That didn't last, and north of Ashford on the motorway I could see clouds beginning to gather, then the fog swept in, so by the time we reached the area of the orchids, it was bright, but no sun to be seen.

I pulled over to the side of the road, and after getting out of the car, I could see over the fence where there were two Tongue Orchids showing very well, rising above the other vegetation. Some who had arrived already had climbed the fence and flattend other vegetation including orchids in a five foot arc of about 60 degrees; so much destruction to snap two spikes growing next to the fence.

One hundred and seventy seven Leaning through I got good enough shots, not needing the 400mm lens i have brought, the macro giving good enough results.

Another car arrived behind us. Three guys got out and we exchanged nods, and they knew that we knew. We made small talk, they were down from Ipswich, they had the information.

A third car arrived, and had to park on the other side, a guy and his girlfriend got out knowing what was here too.

Sigh.

We had a quick breakfast of half a slice of cold cornbread, then drove off back towards the coast for some better know orchids: Musks.

Better known but hard to find.

For some.

The mist cleard, and I think had we stayed another few minutes the shots would have been better, but I was happy with what I had got.

Up Stone Street, then along narrow lanes that wound through dense woodlands, up and down through valleys and over the top of wooded downs, until coming out at the woodland drive leading to Park Gate. We park in the lay by, and Jools went for a walk, while I went into the reserve.

Visiting here through the season means witnessing how much it changes with each passing week. Now with the Monkey having all gone to seed, there are carpets of CSO and Common Fragrants among the long summer grass. Very little evedence of the main season orchids, with the exception of the single Lady that was now turning brown having set seed, and the single arge Greater Butterfly spike at the back of the reserve.

But I knew where to go, into the third paddock, up the right path, and about 50 yards on there was a trampled area, and in a cross made of dried cow poo were seven tiny spikes. I have trained my minions well.

Herminium monorchis I get the shots I want and wander on looking at the large colony of CSO to see if there were any pure white spikes.

Pyramid Orchid Anacamptis pyramidalis I was being observed by a guy crouching down behind a bush, as I walked back towards the gate he started to follow me too. Athough I had snapped the Musks, I was looking for more, as years back there used to be a fair number of spikes, the path he was following was getting nearer to me, until he got within speaking gange.

He spoke:

Have you seen anything interesting?

Oh yes, lots.

Have you seen any Musk, I've been looking ages.

I saw a good half dozen spikes not 20m from where you're standing I said. I'll show you.

Gymnadenia conopsea So, we walk along the track, past the faded Lady and to the next trampled area, and in the corner there was the dried cow poo and in the middle: orchids!

I looked there he explaimed, noticed the placing of the dung and failed to see the orchids!

He was rather pleased, as was the young couple who walked over. The chap, a body builder by the looks of it, looked at me sheepily and asked "Musk Orchid?" Jools had sent him over.

Gymnadenia conopsea So I pointed to the first guy and said when he's done, they're there.

I walk back to the car where Jools was waiting, knowing that i was late because of people and talking to them.

In a change of plan we go to Western Heights in Dover so I could hunt for Small Blue butterflies and also snap some of dozens of CSOs there.

Gymnadenia conopsea All around the car park is trash for people having late night fast food or a beer or seven. Although the car park is grim, it looks down on Dover and the Priory Station, and to the left the houses spread along Old Folkestone Road. Just up the bank is a large grassed area, full of orchid spikes. On the other side of the road, up the bank leading to the old Commandant's House there are even more, but these are easier to snap.

Cupido minimus And inbetween I see the tiny blue butterflies. I manage to snap a couple, so achieve my goal. I collect some rubbish from between the orchids, then walk back to meet up with Jools to drive back home. Via Martin.

A report in last year's BSBI report listed the hyrid between the Lesser and Greater Butterfly Orchid had been recorded less than two miles from Chaz Jelltex. I had hunted at the end of May, but now they should be easier to find, if I was in the right place.

Gymnadenia conopsea The wood seemed to be too small and the groud covered by a thick carpet of ivy, so we looked in three field margins, but not one orchid was found. Running out of time this season though, one to research for next year perhaps?

We drive home to have lunch and a brew.

I review my shots while we eat and listen to the radio.

Jools went out to have a haircut and get the month's cat food, so the afternoon slipped by.

At five all work stopped as the football kicked off; the beginning of the knock out phase. And first up Wales v Denmark.

And a good game that Denmark grew into, taking the lead before half time, then powering to vicotry in the 2nd. 4-0 was harsh on Wales, but Denmark were ruthless, and derved to go through.

Jools went to pick up a chinese, so we munch that during half time, wih enough left over for me to ave for lunch during the week at least one day.

In the evening it was Italy v Austria, which was a close game with Italy getting two goals into the 30 minutes of extra time, meaning that I did not get to bed until eleven, and I missed the dramtic first day in Le Tour where there were two huge crashes.

And Monday Wimbledon starts too. How are we to keep up?

No comments: