Monday 19 April 2010

Back on the chain gang!

Phew, first day at work is over, and I'm home after cooking a roast chicken dinner and having washed up and reflecting on a day in which I earned some money. I say earned, my day was mostly spent in front of a computer screen waiting for things to happen or for updates to load or install.

Anyway, being my first day, I got to start an hour later than everyone else so they could sort out the IT out for me.

Ha!

That was so funny. Anyway, I turn up and a desk had been cleared for me, a laptop provided, attached to a dock thing, an printed e mail told me my screen name and password.

Two problems; one being the most complicated password ever created in the whole history of IT. It went something like this; 236#mYmaAq, all the swapping between upper and lower case and all that. Anyway after typing it in 50 or 60 times I got the hang of it. Seems like each laptop, which acts like a mini server, de-registers itself if it has not been on the network for 3 months. This I find out from the IT guy in Denmark. It took and hour to get to that stage, swapping leads, docks and the such, with the result that we decided the laptop was the problem.
So, the local IT guy got the message to register the laptop and configured it, remotley from the next room, probably. Quite why he couldn't come in and sort it out, maybe he was on a beach in Jamaica, possibly.
The second problem is that my screen name, and as I learned later, my e mail account, is i hard, as somehow they managed to insert an extra 'r' into my name. So, to the whole rest of the company and the world, I am now I Hard. Oh, how Jools laughed when I mailed her.

Just as I got the computer working and in a position to do something, it was lunchtime, and my boss went round asking, 'who wants a fat boys breakfast; I'm paying?' And who was I to say no? So, we walked into town and took our seats in a harbourside cafe and ordered a full breakfast with mugs of tea. And I was getting paid!

The afternoon I had to do the company induction, which seemed to be aimed at four year olds. So, I learned the parts of a wind turbine, and how the company is structured. And was doing well, and then the server crashed.

And so at half three I was told to go home and come back in the morning. Yay! So, back home, beating the traffic, and able to prepare dinner so it's ready before dark and be home before Jools.

So, first day went well, day two promises an avalanche of paperwork, but that might have to wait until the end of the week.

At least.

3 comments:

Thunderbird30 said...

Hope your IT probs clear up.Sounds like your company could do with some help on that front....!

Thunderbird30 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thunderbird30 said...

Hope your IT problems clear up soon.Sounds the the helpdesk could be an oxymoron....!

(Seems like Blogger.com is posting things twice too)