Thursday 8 April 2010

Thursday 8th April 2010

Today was the day of the big interview. Or lordy. But before we get to that, let us go back to last night to what will be forever known in our house as 'Night of the mice'. OK, it wasn't that bad, but in 15 minutes molly did bring in three mice, in this order; one barely alive, one dead and one jumping around like a jumpy thing. The first one I should have put out of it's pain, but I hoped it might have been shock and put in in the hedge out front. The second was dead, and so that got put in the bin; Molly looked disappointed and so went out and got some fresh meat. She brought it in the living room, and we ran round some and caught it in a handkerchief and put it next to it's stunned friend in the hedge.
Thankfully, that was it for the mice and so I went back to watching Manchester United get dumped out of Europe. Not a lost night after all.

And so to today: The interview was with the company that is building the wind turbines off Ramsgate, and they are looking for a Quality Assurance guy with engineering background; or was it an engineer with a QA background? Whatever, I ticked almost all the boxes in their online advertisement and applied.

And in a turn up for the books, I got an interview and today was the day. At least I knew where to go as it is the yard we worked out of when I did the weeks survey work back in February. I had had a shower, a shave and wore my suit, and I think I scrubbed up quite well. I arrived in plenty of time, and studied their requirements whilst I waited. Before leaving home I had found a website which suggested the best questions to ask at the end of the interview; in other words I felt primed and ready to go.

They asked questions, and I batted them right back, straight. I think they were impressed, they said so. We agreed on a wage which whilst not as high as I'd hoped, is double what I was getting at the factory. And so I have to wait and hope now.

Well, too late to hope, just think that I have done enough to convince them. Man, we need me to get this job. I found out from the agency that as this job finishes, another windfarm, over twice as big will be built, once again everything being based in Ramsgate; three years more work, and if I get this one, I will be in line for the same job on the next project.

If.

A big word, but maybe there is light.

No comments: