Friday 25 April 2014

Friday 25th April 2014

Thursday.

Six weeks ago, when I agreed to travel to Essex to conduct another audit, Jools had no job and we thought maybe making a day of it, a pub lunch, visit some churches, etc, once the audit was over. As it turned out, Jools began a new job at the beginning of the week, and so we had to decide how she was going to get to work as there was no way I could travel to Essex using public transport, as their office is in a barn 20 miles from the sea. Handy as they're a company that runs a fleet of small vessels.

So, it was decided I would drop Jools in Dover at half six, she would make her way to the office on buses and I would drive to the meeting. And that is what we did, as dawn crept over east kent I dropped Jools at tesco so she could get some lunch and catch a bus for Canterbury from there. I headed up along the Alkham Valley to the start of the M20 and on up to Dartford.

Traffic was light at first, even at the crossing. But the A12 to Colchester was different, as traffic built up towards rush hour and I was stuck in queues at Chelmsford and Colchester. and then into the Essex countryside to the office.

We shake hands and get down to the audit; to my surprise they had done all I asked from the previous audit, and it was all rather straightforward and wonderful. I ticked all boxes, drank coffee as went through each section. And just after lunch, it was all over. Thanks you very much. Shake hands,. Say thanks again. Shake hands again.

Fly Orchid, Ophrys insectifera

And into the car and the race to the tunnel, or bridge, begins to see if I could get there before rush hour and the queues begin. So, I dashed along the A120, down the A12 and onto the M25, which was empty as a crash in Hertfordshire had closed the motorway. And I was through and back into Kent and heading down towards Canterbury.

I reach Jools' office at half four, and wait for her to finish. Once she gets into the car we head down through Chartham and onto Stone Street as we had an appointment with a fly. A Fly Orchid.

Fly Orchid, Ophrys insectifera

We find the site, park up and I change out of my suit, grab my camera and lens, and off we go into the golden light of a Kentish spring evening. Even if we failed to find an orchid, it was wonderful just to be out. We passed the site of the Flys once, but on the way back my eye was caught by a dark colour of the flower. And soon enough saw maybe half a dozen of the tiny orchids. I got my shots, and was even able to show an elderly couple the orchids. They were very happy.

Time then to head home for dinner, and to feed the cats and relax, 380 miles later I was home and whacked. Time for a beer then.

No comments: