Saturday 19 April 2014

Saturday 19th April 2014

Good Friday.

In another life, I was what were called back then, a hairy-arsed armourer in the Air Force. Like most people we were supposed to conform to a certain pattern in that we were supposed to be heavy drinkers. I mean real heavy drinkers. I have always been a lightweight, and normally bailed after 5 pints and would find my way back to my bed. Since leaving the mob, I have drunk less, which also means no hangovers, and more money in my wallet come the mornings.

Even still, I like a beer festival as much as the next man, or woman, and as a friend from Flickr was travelling down to Kent for the Planet Thanet festival, plans had been made for me to meet up with him. However, with the orchid season beginning so very early, I decided to go orchid hunting instead. My liver cheered.

Early Purple Orchid, Orchis mascula

So, after breakfast, and checking that my batteries were charged, that the memory cards were all in the cameras. And away we go!

We took the sat nav, as the first of the sites is tricky to find. But after getting the right turning off the main road, we soon remember the way, heading down the narrowest of lanes, which was still strewn with rocks and flints from the heavy rains during the winter. We head along the bottom of the valley, and halfway back up to the parking place. And here we are again.

Early Purple Orchid, Orchis mascula

I take just the 6D and my new lens and pack the 50mm in my coat pocket in case I want to snap some general landscape shots.

The view from the meadow

And here we are, rambling through a Kentish wood in the spring sunshine, the air thick with the songs of dozens of happy birds. All is well with the world. Up and up we go until we come to the clearing, a few Twayblade spikes could be seen, but the view to the farm on the hill opposite was wonderful.

Early Purple Orchid, Orchis mascula

On we went, now slowing down and bent double as we search for the Fly Orchids. We spot none, but soon as the path heads down again, and the sunlight rains through the canopy of trees, we see dozens of the finest Early Purples. They look fantastic, and so we stop to snap them before we turn to head back to the car.

Fly Orchid Ophrys insectifera

It was then that I spotted the first of the Fly Orchids. Tiny, looking like a piece of grass, but with the hint of purple as the bloom began to open. As it is next to the path, I was able to get down to get a shot. On the other side of the path we see a few more examples, none as far advanced as the first though.

We arrive back at the car, consult with the map and decide it is easier(!) to head cross-country than to find our way back to the main road. However, not all roads are signposted, so this is a bit of a gamble, and yet it not being ten in the morning, we had all day to find our way.

We pass through pretty villages, and fine looking churches; one I did not recognise, until we parked outside, and then, yes, we have been here before. We drive on.

And through woods and across fields until we came to the unusual named road, and there is the parking place; just one other car there. We would have the place almost to ourselves.

I choose just to take my 6D and the new lens, and off we go. Its about a 15 minute walk to the orchid site, but it is splendid through the wood with bluebells stretching as far as the eye can see on both sides. The sun breaks through the clouds and the colours are breathtaking. I then see some movement out of the corner of my eye, and about 50 yards away is a buck deer, just watching us. i raise my camera, which just has the 150mm on, and fire off a shot before the sound spooks the deer and it bounds off with another which had been hidden. We watch them for the next 5 minutes as they go further up the slope and into the wood, but all the time keeping an eye on us.

The deer and the bluebells

We enter the conservation area and straight away there are two Early Purples on either side of the path. I snap one which was easy to get to before we move on. Our target this time was Lady Orchids and the rare duke of Burgundy butterfly. In the end none of the Ladys were out, although some we close, and despite the ground being covered with the Duke's foodplant, the air was empty. We'll have to come back in a week or so.

Although it is nearly opening time, we decide to head home for lunch, as we have a full larder. And I have a batch of fresh saffron buns to munch through too. Green Winged Orchid Orchis morio

In the afternoon I head over to Sandwich Bay to see the Green-winged Orchids. They do grow there, but are not as numerous as further north in the county, and it will be to that meadow we will head to maybe in a couple of weeks time. Anyway, I head along the Golf Road to the Bay, thus avoiding the entry charge. And I also had forgotten my jacket, which mean it felt bitterly cold in the stiff breeze.

Life sized

The easiest part of looking for something is knowing where to start, and as i remembered from last year's orchid safari, I park up along the beach, head through the gap in the fence, and about ten yards in on the right are about a dozen orchids. Most are stunted, but a couple are a foot or so high. I get the shots i wanted and head back, via the Rack of Ale, as I was a bit thirsty.

Once back home, I look through the shots i had taken, edit some and listen to the radio. A fine end to the day. Once darkness falls, we put the badger food outside and settle down for a weekly dose of the Don and HIGNFY. A fine end to the day.

No comments: