Saturday 12 April 2014

Saturday 12th April 2012

Thursday.

Working from home.

I thought, best give it a couple of days after the great iT switchover to try working from home, so as to be able to tell from those systems which had totally failed and those which could not make work through the VPN. As it turned out, I did not get that far as the VPN failed. Both VPNs failed, and so I was left to work with just webmail. Jools had the car, and so i had to just work out stuff as best I could.

Needless to say, apart from sending a few urgent mails, there was little else I could do.

The day passed. Slowly.

Once it got to half three I gave up and switched the computer off, headed upstairs to the cross-trainer and worked out my frustrations on that. I extended the workout once again and felt so much better at the end. Hoorah!

In the evening we sat down to watch the latest ad by the New Zealand tourist board, sorry Hobbit film. I allowed over three hours to watch the film, what with comfort breaks, coffee breaks and the suchlike. And very good it was too, but managing to stretch a book with about 200 pages into a 9 hour trilogy is really pushing it. At the end I worked out that the third film could be over in 10 minutes, as all there is left to tell is the destruction of Laketown, the death of Smaug, the Dwarfs heading back to the lonely mountain and Bilbo heading for home.

Do you think Peter Jackson could tell that in ten minutes? no, he likes a challenge, clearly. Anyway, the story was told well, and he is weaving an arc that will stretch over the six films which will make sense.

Anyway, weekend begins at four tomorrow....

1 comment:

nztony said...

I used to drive past the quarry that was the set of Helms Deep, the battle at the end of the second movie of LOTR while that was being made. I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the movies, they aren't my thing, but I am proud that Peter Jackson, a local, has done so well and put NZ film making on the map.