Wednesday 9 April 2014

Wednesday 9th April 2014

Monday.

I don’t wish to labour a point, but the IT problems continued and were about to get a whole lot worse. Anyway,. After the disaster of Friday whilst working from home, I thought it best to go into the office just to be able to get some systems to work.

Driving to work on a fine sunny morning is never nice. However, it is impossible to feel down when the sun shines from a clear blue sky. Everywhere, spring is bursting forth, and even to drive through the countryside is a joy. I may have written that before, it seems to ring a few bells.

Anyway, I arrived at the office to find the monkeys on the way to loading their stuff on the crew vessels, which meant it would at least be quiet. Anyway, I get confirmation, in a fashion, that the great migration day to the new IT structure of the new company would be Tuesday. IT assured us that the process was robust and there was nothing to worry about. So, why worry?

Back home I climb back on the cross trainer and get another session under my belt, although Scully looked at me from the comfort of the spare bed, apparently angry that once again I had disturbed her sleep…..

We dined well on Scotch eggs and piccalilli from Waitrose, before relaxing for the evening, which was for me listening to the radio to make sure Spurs beat Sunderland. Which they did.

Tuesday.

And so back into work for the great computer migration day. All I had to do was pug the laptop in and the rest would be automatic and seamless.

Just in case I took something to read.

An hour passed.

Another hour passed.

At regular intervals the computer re-booted and started in the same place.

I had another coffee.

In time, an IT bod logged onto my screen, did some stuff and forced the change. And then all I had to do was wait for the new software to install. Make a coffee the instructions said. I always do as I’m told…..

We are all to get a shiny new version of Office, with at 2GB is a monster. I wait for that to download and install.

One hour.

Two hours.

Three hours.

I call IT, they force another download.

At three in the afternoon it installs, I restore my old mail files and it seems to work.

Happy with what had been achieved during the day, I go home secure in the knowledge that the next day could not be so bad.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes

Once home I grab the camera gear and we head to Samphire Hoe to redo the orchid shots as the ones I took at the weekend were not good for some reason. Amazingly, there were no others around as we walked along the path to the tiny plants. Not sure whether these shots are any better, but it felt good to just be out in the fresh air.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes

We call in at the Rack of Ale on the way home for a couple of beers, which was nice. Very nice By this time the evening was underway, so we head to the chippy next door for a battered saveloy and a portion of chips.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes

Day done

No comments: