Thursday 17 April 2014

Thursday 17th April 2014

And so, lots to tell you about. But for now we shall stick to the tried and tested formula.

Wednesday.

After being assured by IT that the VPN problems had been sorted, i decide to work from home,mainly so Jools can have the car so she can attend another interview, this time near Canterbury. Just to make sure, I try to long in so she could take me to the office in case it didn't work. But, what do you know, it went fine.

So, at eight fifteen,I waved jools off in her best interview gear and i got down to work. The morning passes with meetings and phone calls and me starting another wonderful Excel spreadsheet, because after all, its just what the world needs.

Outside it is sunny but cool again with the wind in the north east, and i fight the urge to put the heating on and try to drink tea or coffee to keep warm.

At half twelve, Julie comes back with the news that the interview went well, she thinks. And as we're both hungry, we decide to head out for lunch. I had decided that we try The Plough at Ripple, as I heard that that was where the Ripple steam brewery have their tap, and the beer should be especially good. It is only a ten minute drive along to Walmer, left at the car wash, down Cold Blow Lane, over the crossroads and follow the road through the fields.

In the middle of the road

And there we are.

The Plough Inn, Ripple, Walmer, Kent

I order a pint of Steam beer to find myself standing next to the head brewer and he offers me a tour round the brewery any time I want. Which is nice. We chat and swap numbers, whether anything will come of it, I don't know. We look at the menu and decide its nice enough to stay for lunch, and we both have garlic tiger prawns which I follow with chilli and Jools had lamb shank.

The Plough Inn, Ripple, Walmer, Kent

Time enough on the way home for a call in at St Mary the Virgin, the tiny parish church in Ripple, but it is locked fast, which is a shame.

The afternoon passes onto evening. I climb onto the cross trainer and do half an hour, which I am happy about. I am really feeling the effect, in a good way of the workouts, and I just need the weight to come off my belly and all will be right with the world.

Thursday.

Another day working from home, and more IT chaos. See, I can't help it, but there you are. I try to log on with the VPN to find my licence had expired. As our fancy new communicator was working, I speak to Steffen in Esbjerg to find it is the same for the whole company. Anyway, I have stuff to be getting on with, and while to morning away writing mails and finishing the spreadsheet.

Jools comes back from her doctor and i cook lunch, as I plan to bake saffron buns in the afternoon, so we eat a proper meal at lunchtime. Proper chicken Kievs, very nice indeed. I mix the dough, give it a good bashing and then leave it to prove for three hours through the afternoon.

Jools heads off at two for another appointment with an agency, and I switch the computer off as nothing is working, still, and everyone else seems to have logged off for the weekend. Happy Easter.

Sigma 150mm f2.8 EX DG OS

I have to wait in as I am waiting for a delivery; another new lens. This time a new macro lens for the full frame camera. And it arrives just before four, just as the sun goes behind a cloud never to return for the rest of the day. I take a few shots anyway.

Test shots

Jools arrives home just as the first batch of buns are ready, so it seems only right that we try one each. And they were OK. I mean they were nice buns, but due to the high cost of saffron, and the fact the pack i bought for four quid had only about a dozen strands in it, which means you could hardly taste the saffron.

Test shots

As we eat the buns, the phone rings and its one of the agencies that Jools has registered: the company she went to the interview with on wednesday offered her the three month contract and she starts on Tuesday.

Happy Easter!

No comments: