Tuesday 1 April 2014

Tuesday 1st April 2014

Monday.

Some four years ago this week, I was negotiating with Vestas Offshore about an agreeable wage. In the end I accepted what they offered just to get my foot in the door. I showed them what I could do, and for some reason they offered me a job at the end of the contract. It has been a rollercoaster ride at times, endless redundancies, travel, new boss, losing Helle....

And that brings me to Monday 31st March 2014. The final day of Vestas Offshore, as on Tuesday we join with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries to form a joint venture, MFIVestasOffshoreWind, or something. It means us separating from Vestas, and being on our own, and having to develop the V164 8MW WTG. The monster. On a practical note, it also means being cut off largely from Vestas' computer systems, which is going to make our day to day work tricky for a while. And we get new e mail addresses, new Office program, new office phones. All shiny and new. But we're not really vestas any more, and that is sad, and at the same time a little worrying.

Despite being a very small part of Vestas, Offshore was the big news maker when it came to wind, as we put the bloody things up in the sea, and that is where the future growth will be. Lets hope it was all done right and is for the best, for everyone.

No comments: