Friday 27 November 2015

Friday 27th November 2015

Thursday

I wish I knew, with certainty, what I was allergic to. And what sets it off.

I mean I can sleep all night, no problems, lay there and think that I feel fine, and yet in 5 minutes be sniffing and sneezing and needing the best drugs known to mankind.

I do know I am allergic to dust and dust mites. I suspect that strong smells, or chemicals in deodorants and perfumes can set an attack off. But once you cut all them out, then what?

Sometimes, all you can do is go outside for a walk and lots of fresh air. That always does the trick. And in November, with the sun low and casting long shadows, these are what I see.

Thursday afternoon walk So, on another morning, I lay in bed, allergy free, and yet within 5 minutes of getting up, I am sniffing away and having trouble breathing. I take drugs, and there is some relief, but its still not good. Work keeps coming in, so it it is afternoon before I can say I have enough time to get outside for a walk and maybe clear my tubes.

Out across the fields along the path which is usually firm and easy going, but now is just a trail of mud, showing brown between the dying grass each side. But I have my boots on, so its no real problem. At the pig's copse, there is a sole piglet, now half grown. The poor thing must be lonely as he runs squealing whenever anyone passes, just wanting some company, as there is food on the ground. He was once one of a group of six or so, but I guess its siblings are now gone. Long gone.

Thursday afternoon walk The view down to Kingsdown is fine as always, but with the need for more walking and getting the blood pumping, I decide to go down the track down the dip, through the mud an up the other side. I was passed by a gentleman on a horse, we bid each other good day, and I watch as he encourages the horse up the steep track the other side. I make slower progress, picking my way through the mud and up the other side, pausing to take shots and to get my breath back. I would think I am out of shape, well I am, but I know that in the summer I could get up here with no trouble, and my breathlessness now is an effect from the allergy and what it is doing to my lungs.

Thursday afternoon walk I walk to the top of Otty Bottom Road, taking a shot as the road tracks along the crease between two hills, descending to the beach at Kingsdown a couple of miles away.

The light from the early afternoon sun is warm and brightens the landscape with warm colours, making my shots, one hope, very pleasing. I double back along the road to the village, past the Kings Head, down Station Road to home, arriving home just in time for another meeting. Just my luck.

Thursday afternoon walk But I do feel better, at least, and get through the meeting and have stuff to do afterwards, which takes me through up to half four. Looking at my contacts on Outlook, most have finished for the day, so I decide enough is enough so switch off the computer and go to prepare dinner: breaded pork, lentil dahl and peas and sweetcorn. I open the last bottle of wine, and things are going very well by the time Jools returns home. In fact the wine flows through dinner and afterwards, and so imagine my surprise to find just half a glass left in the bottom by the time TOTP starts at half seven.

Well, that is it from me until Sunday. Be good.

No comments: