Sunday 8 November 2015

Sunday 8th November (part 2)

Sunday

And as I am on me travels again tomorrow, here I am on a Sunday evening, playing catch up with the blogs. I was hoping to have a period of time at home, but seems work has other ideas. However, if all goes well I might get the key to the executive lounge in a few months. Or not. Whatever.

We woke up at just gone six, the cats had given up trying to wake us up, and so there was a calm over the house. All of them appeared as I walked into the kitchen, all wanting some meow, which was good as its all we had. That done, I made coffee, checked the interwebs and then sat down to watch the previous day's football. Someone has to do it. I do it so you don't have to!

2015 Remembrance Parade, Dover, Kent That done, we decided that maybe we should go down town to attend the remembrance parade. And so that is what we did. Driving down into town at ten, finding a place to park, snapping the ongoing demolition of Burlinton House, then walking down Biggin Street to the town hall to join others who were there. We passed the massing bands of the sea scouts and air cadets, and mingled with all the veterans and others who wore their poppies and medals with pride. I have a medal somewhere, maybe I should wear mine? I don't think too much about my time in the military that much, just o anniversaries, like this year with it being 25 years since I joined, but I was lucky, met some good people, learned some stuff and traveled to Vegas, Italy and Germany. And the Falklands too! So, joined up, saw some of the world, was not shot at.

2015 Remembrance Parade, Dover, Kent So, come eleven, we stood in silence, and I remembered those friends I lost, and my family and others who did not come back. We sang hymns, praised the Lord. We left as the wreaths were being laid, we had come and mourned, it seemed enough. We passed the serious drinkers in the Prince Albert and Weatherspoons, who had not paused. So it goes, so it goes.

2015 Remembrance Parade, Dover, Kent We drive to Folkestone, we were going to walk along the pier there, but instead we walked up the old High Street, looking in the art shops, and browsed through the racks of new recods at a new shop. I didn't buy anything. We end up in a micropub, it being just past midday, we also order some nachos with our drinks, and that seems like the right thing to do.

The Old High Street, Folkestone, Kent We decide not to go to the pier after all, instead go to visit friends on the way home, then call on Nan. We drove over the downs and then down into River, calling into see Gary and Julie. They are well, and it is always a pleasure to see them, swapping stories about life, art and photography. Sadly, the car park at the home was full, so we come straight home for coffee and laying down.

The day fades, I have the North London Derby on the radio, whilst I write blogs and edit shots. I am not concentrating too hard on the game. It all seems very exciting, but is washes over me really.

We have dinner, I call Mum for the usual avoiding the elephants conversation, then it is dark already outside, I need to shower and to pack. Where does the time go?

No comments: