Friday 6 November 2015

Friday 6th November 20165

Tuesday

A full day at the office.

Well, once I got myself up, have breakfast and drive through the rush hour traffic. The hotel is in a huge conference centre cum concert venue complex, and is impressive. My room is large and comfortable, so I have no complaints. Its not if anyone listens though, is it?

Anyway, once I have breakfast, two coffees, I am ready for the traffic, but as I am in a central hotel, the drive should be interesting. And indeed it was, taking 45 minutes to travel the 8Km, and being stuck in traffic between the regular traffic lights. Thankfully, I have a sat nav, so I am not concerned about getting lost, and with no meetings until afternoon, no need to worry about being late, either.

Once out onto the main road, traffic is lighter, as most people are still heading in the other way. So, I arrive at the office, do the round of handshaking and greetings, this being such a pleasure in seeing so many old friends and colleagues, as I work from home or travel so much.

The day passes, meetings, mails and a lunch with friends. With the drive back to the centre, there is no point in trying it between three and five, so I find work to do, there is always some, and finally pack my laptop away at half five.

That night I am meeting a colleague, Manu and Anni for drinks and a meal, so I am in a hurry. But the traffic is fairly light, and I arrive at the hotel, find a parking space and go up to my room to change. I decide I need a beer, so go to the bar to find a bottle of the local Christmas beer for sale, and only 6% is safe to have on an empty stomach. Manu is there, as are other people form work, so we stand and chat and drink.

Arhus Radisson Hotel Once Anni arrives, Manu and I walk with her to a Moroccan restaurant a few minutes’ walk away. We talk more, Manu and I order our food, me a vegetable tagine, but when comes is mainly steamed peas and carrots, and is a major disappointment. With Anni needing to be at work by six the next morning, a late night was never on the cards, so at half eight she leaves, Manu and I walk back to the hotel and take to our rooms. On TV is football, which I watch whilst I potter around, crashing out soon as the final whistle goes, with Real beating PSG 1-0.

Wednesday

Thing about being on a project. And a new project at that, is that there will be a kick off meeting. Maybe more than one. And there will be team building. Oh yes, team building. So, what better way to spend the day in an airless meeting room with a flip chart and powerpoint, then to try to gross a lawn without touching the grass. Or something.

The view from the meeting room of death It is all part of the thrill of being on a project, but it is something we gird our loins and join in with, if we have failed to book and inspection or audit like I did through most of the last project. But, for this, we were all told to attend on pain of death. To prepare a four page critique of ourselves. Oh joy. I said I liked to drink beer, drink wine and take photographs. Or something like that.

And as I had failed to realise there was to be an evening meal, I had booked a room at the Zleep at the airport, so more packing, checking out and meeting two of my colleagues for breakfast. One thing I have improved on over these last few years of endless business travel is not to forget stuff, I mean leave things in my hotel room. I have come close, usually my mobile, but I quick double check and I am ready to go.

I check out. Again. And am sitting down in the breakfast room wen Rob arrives. I can say that The Radisson does a great breakfast, and the bacon was of perfect crispiness for a fine butty, or roll as we were in Denmark. And then there was the drive through the rush hour to the venue for the event: another hotel.

Team building the meal Somehow, the sat nav took me on a far less busy route, arriving at the venue in under half an hour. We walk in, are shown to the meeting room, and the endless supply of food begins to arrive: this time more breakfast rolls and fruit. At mid morning break, there is more snacks before a fine buffet for lunch. Back in the room there was a selection of crispbreads, more snacks and fresh pecan buns. It was non stop eating, really. No wonder we were all falling asleep. Quick, drink more coffee. Oh noes, there's another type of cake.

Mmmmmm, cake.

And to round off the day, for the team building part, we get to prepare and cook our three course dinner. What could possibly go wrong? Nothing as it turned out.

Team building the meal Poached Salmon with Hollandaise Sauce and vegetable Parisienne.

Veal loin with mushroom terrine, acacia sauteed cabbage, pommes rosti and veal glace.

And

Gratinated apple with run and raisin ice cream and brandy snaps.

All we delicious and well cooked. The ice cream was fun to make and was wonderful.

I volunteered/insisted I make the ice cream, as I have never made ice cream before. I boiled a litre of whole milk with a litre of cream, while at the same time I whisked together 500g of sugar and six egg yolks. Once the milk boiled, I poured it into a bowl with the eggs and sugar, stirring all the time. Once cooled a little, I poured some into the machine and watched as the mixture turned into ice cream. An hour later I was done, and had a huge container of ice cream ready.

Team building the meal Once all was done with the other courses, we sat down to eat, and I can say it was all delicious. However, as soon as desert was eaten, I had to leave as it was by now quarter past nine, and I had an hour's drive to the airport to the Zleep. At least the roads should be quiet.

I bid my colleagues farewell, went to the car and made my way to the motorways, then down to junction 57, then across to Billund. It was an uneventful trip, other than me willing to stay awake, the indegestion helped with that.

I dropped the car off, checked into the hotel and had a shower. It was half ten, and in seven hours I would have to be up and heading to the terminal. Only something in the room was setting the sneezing off. So, a disturbed night, like I really needed that after two nights that week of less than 6 hours sleep. Oh joy.

No comments: