Thursday 19 November 2015

Wednesday 18th November

Tuesday

I had to be ready for a meeting at half eight, so tracking back from that I worked out getting up at seven could be the latest I could sleep into. So the alarm went off, I had nowhere enough sleep, but enough to get through the day. I skipped a shower and went down to check out. I reasoned there would be food in the meeting, so skipped breakfast to, went to the car, loaded my small bag and climbed into the eight seater car. Traffic was too heavy, so I arrived at the office without stress and ready for the day ahead.

You are never too sure how a meeting will go, and so prepare for the worse, and yet, on this occasion at least, after some nitty gritty details were sorted, the rest fell into place making the rest of the day quite straightforward. After lunch the customer stated that they had a flight booked for just after six, and how was the best way to get there; taxi, bus? We all said that traffic was dreadful after half three, and therefore every minute they left after three the traffic would get heavier. I volunteered to run them to the airport, as I was spending the name at the Zleep, so a plan was agreed.

We worked until half two, cleared up some lose ends and it was time to hit the road. By now it was half three, and with a little effort we made it out onto the motorway, then pressing on we made good time, with me dropping them off at the terminal with about 90 minutes before their flight. I dropped the hire car off, then realsied how darned hungry I was. Which meant burger and fries from the cafe, and a large Christmas beer.

Before I left the office, I went to see my manager and the rest in our team, and was told that a colleague was seriously ill after a heart attack that morning. I suppose I did not really have time to process the information until I was checked into the hotel and I was laying on the bed, relaxing. Lee was a good five younger than me, and healthier.

I lay on the bed, watching a re-run of a Brazil v Argentina game from the weekend. I doze through some of it, but its a good game, really, with barely concealed violence through it, that no one was sent off was a surprise. Later, England were to play France, but with no football on the channels in my room or the hotel bar, I went to sleep at a fairly sensible time for a change. Up and attem early in the morning, for another flight home.

No comments: