Wednesday 18 November 2015

Tuesday 17th November 2015

Monday

A couple of weeks back, I arranged for the car to go in the garage for some work, as I knew later in the week I had to be in Denmark. As soon as I put the phone down on the garage, I received news that the meeting had been brought forward, so be in Denmark Tuesday. Which meant traveling MOnday evening, a late night, then an early start on Tuesday. And oh my gosh, no time for anything.

I have to take Jools to work, then battle home through the traffic to get back to Dover in time to be at the garage when it opened, then, sit around whilst the work is done. So, there I am in the waiting room, the battery on my phone died, and just the pile of ancient Top Gear magazines to flick though: is there any think worse than a ten year old Clarkson article? Oh yeah, Clarkson!

The car is done, under warranty, so I can go home, but it is now heading towards 11. Back in Chez Jelltex I power up the laptop, and get down for some work, until I have to pack and get ready for more travel. This is the 3rd week in a row I have traveled to Denmark, and as nice as it is, I am pooped. And the late travel and very late arrival at the hotel would only make things worse. I have lunch, and catch up on mails and am up to date by the time I switch the computer off at three and get ready. I decided to travel light; no case, just carry a change of clothes with me. Which will make my check in easy.

I drive down to Martin Mill and leave the car, so Jools can find it when she returns home. This being the best way she getting home without the car.

The usual trip into London, the weather was bright but windy, and with dusk falling as we enter Stratford. Rush hour is beginning, but I have plenty of time. And what with the stupid prices at the airport, I have found a microbrewery in Stratford City, The Tap East, and can get good beer and cheap food there. I have a pint of local mild and a burger: of course. And so for an hour I sit there, sipping my beer and watching people coming and going, most on their way to worship in this cathedral of commerce. I just drink.

The DLR was crowded, but then it was the start of rush hour. More people watching, and listening. As the mix of languages was mind-boggling as was the glorious melting pot of fashions. And all this just a couple of days after he dreadful events in Paris. Why can't we all just get along? Maybe we can.

I get my boarding pass and am through security in less than 5 minutes. And into the crowded lounge, where almost every seat is taken. But I find one, check my mails and the news. Its all grim out there in the big wild old world it seems, making the thought of selling up and retiring to a remote Scottish island all the more attractive than it was when we were watching that TV show about the Isle of Lewis.

And the flight is delayed! In fact, all flights are delayed, and with no explanation at all. But what is this, a big friendly shape is coing towards me, why its big friendly JFF, or Jesper to his friends. Like me. Have I eaten? Did I want to eat again. I agree to have a coffee and watch him eat salmon lasagne. He buys me a coffee and we chat. As Jools says, everyone lights up a room, some by entering and some by leaving: Jesper is one of the former. A huge ball of positive energy and a delight to be with, and listen to, as he is so job focused and really great at what he does.

Once on our plane, 3 minutes late, the pilot explains that they were late because of strong headwinds. However, we will be flying in the opposite direction, we should make up the time. OK, lets get going.

Once in the air, London is laid out in glorious lit up detail: The City looks like something from a science fiction flim, with every light in every building blazing out. We turn to the north, begin to climb, and over Chelmsford, we lose sight of the ground. I have another meal, a roll and some nice smoked ham. And coffee.

It is nearly ten by the time we pass through the clouds and Denmark comes into view. Towns and villages are lit up, but scattered about in the dark countryside. Once outside the plane, its not raining! How darned unusual! Through immigration, not case to collect and to the car hire place. Needless to say having just an overnight bag with my work stuff and the change of clothes, I am given a seven seat Citroen to spread my stuff around in. Now, just have to get to Arhus.

The way is so well known to me now, I could almost do it blindfolded, but don't of course. Onto the motorway, and putting my foot down I get up to 130kmh and power up to the Arhus south junction, turning off then going up the ringroad to the Scandic. It was just 5 minutes to midnight. I check in, go to my room and check the interwebs for news, whilst I relaxed and grew tired enough for sleep. I set the alarm for seven, giving me six hours or so of sleep. Good night.

No comments: