Saturday 3 February 2018

Friday 2nd February 2018

It feels like it should be the weekend, but the calendar states it is only Friday. But it is also beer festival day, so I am only doing half a day. If I can get all my tasks done.

I wake up and see that Jools is already up and about, feeding the cats and making coffee.

Jools is already to go to work at quarter to seven, and as soon as she leaves I force myself to go on the cross trainer and do 20 minutes at a higher resistance. I would like to have done half an hour, but it was the best I could do. As ever, workout is made bearable with good music, Prince this time. My fat little legs go up and down and I puff along to the tunes.

White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales 2018 Once I had exercised, I make breakfast and another coffee and have time to sit on the sofa to watch the first half an hour of MOTD, with Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea all losing, so even more enjoyable than usual.

White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales 2018 At ten to eight I begin the day, logging my working hours, putting the final touches to a document, and trying very hard not to get sidetracked by other people, so decide not to pick up the phone or Skype to anyone. And so come midday, I can send the work off, power down the laptop and hone for a taxi.

White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales 2018 I could have left right away and ended up waiting outside for 45 minutes, then I would be the first in the hall, get a seat, but also be cold. If I was right, my friend Matt would be there already and he would save me a seat.

White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales 2018 The taxi arrives at quarter to one, and I enterain the driver by telling hi the history of the mineral railway that used to run from Martin Mill to the docks, down the cliffs. During the war it was taken over by the army and they had rail mounted guns in the village to fire shells over the Channel to France. Hard to imagine our sleepy village was once the front line in the defence of Britain, but it was.

White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales 2018 He drops me off in Ladywell, and walking through the passageway besde the town hall I see the queue. It looks bad, but even as I join the back the front is being let in. I see Matt and he will save me a seat.

People walk by and are wondering what we are queuing for: beer festival? Yeah, you all have big bellies, ha ha ha, was the answer. Partly right, I suppose.

White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales 2018 I get in, then have to queue again to get my glass and tokens, but I already know that my first beer will be, so grab half of that and go to look for Matt and his friend.

The rest of the afternoon is spent drinking beer, talking, going to get another beer, or going to use the facilities. An orchidist I know from Flickr comes over to say hi, and we plan our spring trips. He has come down to Dover from Buckinghamshire for the beer festival. That's dedication. I have gone all the way to Buckinghamshire to see orchids, that's also dedication.

Thirty three I had arranged for Jools to collect me at half three, so go to the door and meet her coming in, so we walk to the car and I burble for both of us as Jools drives us home. She drops me off then goes to the chippy for dinner, as we are both hungry, so I am trusted to make butties and brews. I manage not to kill myself, which is a miracle.

Once we have eaten, I watch the rest of the football, then go to bed for a snooze, and end up sleeping until nearly eight, which although I wake up refreshed means I will not be able to go to sleep at ten.

And that was Friday; full of work and beer. That's work/life balance right there.

No comments: