Friday 16 February 2018

Monday 12th February 2018

This week I am away on a course. So have to pick up a hire car and drive north to Leeds. Leeds is where a previous Mrs Jelltex hailed from, so Leeds and I have history. But I still like the city, it is historical, has some nice architecture, and brews good beer too. And I am in a hotel spa on the company credit card again.

forty three So, At least unlike when I have to fly it means getting up at half four, this Monday meant we could lie in until nearly six, but of course, my brain had other ideas and I was wide awake at half four, with an allergy attack building, so sniffing and sneezing my way to dawn.

Sunrise in Dover Monday means that every second counts, getting breakfast made, getting dressed and making sure I have packed everything. So, Jools takes me to the town so I can wander round the St James development, round the outside of it, taking shots just before it is about to open. Buildings have logos on them, some are fitted out, but the cinema failed to open on time, and Frankie and Benny’s have pulled out. I’m still not convinced it’s a good idea. But we shall see.

Sunrise in Dover I walk down under Townwall Street, over Newbridge to the promenade, where the sun has risen and the Regency buildings are glowing in the warm light. It is high tide, but what waves there are, just lap against the sea wall.

Sunrise in Dover I wait while they get the paperwork done, then am given the keys to a Suzuki faux 4x4, I check it for damage and then drive out the port, up Jubilee Way to home, where I was expecting the path guy to be waiting, but he isn’t. And after calling him I find there has been a mix up and work will not start until Wednesday. So, all I have to do is have breakfast, wash up, load the car and leave.

Monday morning That all done, I program to radio to 6 Music, and I pause, with that satisfied feeling of an open road ahead. I smile.

St Mary, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire You know the route up to Dartford, all done whilst bathed in glorious winter sunshine, and in light traffic. It is most pleasurable. At the tunnel, one of the bores is closed, but not the one I drive into, under the river and up into Essex.

All Saints, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire North I go into Essex, past the airport to Cambridge, then along the A14, which is now being widened, but for now is a 20 mile nightmare with narrow lanes and a 40mph speed limit. I remember when this road was built, now its not man enough, so lets build more, wider roads.

Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire I need a comfort break, so stop in Huntingdon. I had seen an interesting ancient bridge and watermill from the main road before, and thought it might be worth checking out.

Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire I drive over the bridge and past the mill, now converted into offices or something, looks nice but not enough to stop. So I drive on to the town centre, and after a loop of the one way system, I find a car park and a space.

Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire Huntingdon is famous for being the birth place of Oliver Cromwell, so what with the mill, bridge, I though there might be some interesting buildings to see, churches to crawl round. And indeed there were two parish churches, both locked, and neither listing keyholders. I walk down the high street, it seems vibrant, and shops full. After I find the second church, All Saints, closed. I return to the car to continue the drive north.

Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire I go up the A1, stopping off at a diner for lunch of a burger and curly fries.

A brief visit to Nottingham My next idea is to go via Nottingham, as that would take me up the M1, and to Leeds right past the hotel. And allowing me to call into Nottingham for half an hour to find what is rumoured to be the oldest pub in Britain. Turns out its probably not the oldest pub in Nottingham, but built leaning against the rock that the castle is built upon, it looks ancient, but might be 17th century at oldest. I remind readers that the Mermaid in Rye dates at least to 1420, whereas Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem claims to date from the 12th century. The bar is partly built into the rocky hill, which makes for a great atmosphere.

A brief visit to Nottingham So I have my pint and take shots. So I can return to the car and finish the last leg of the journey to Leeds up the Motorway.

A brief visit to Nottingham Still in sunshine, and even with it being half term, traffic wasn’t too bad, so I made good time and arrived at the hotel just before half four, and once checked in I could answer my mails. Where I find that the only week between now and Easter I have at home now requires me to go to Hamburg. SO it goes, so it goes.

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire I do homework, listen to the radio, drink coffee one I work out how the coffee pod machine works.

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire In the restaurant, staffed mainly by school leavers, apparently, I have a good meal of what they claimed was mushroom soup, but they overdid the cream. So it was cream of cream soup. Followed by lamb.

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire And that is it, back in my room, listening to the football on the radio. Situation normal.

No comments: