Tuesday 27 February 2018

Monday 26th

When I tell people that East Kent is particularly susceptible to snow, and heavy snow at that, they think I jest. But I don't. Although it is true we are on the extreme south east corner of Albion, when the wind and conditions are right, clouds can come up from France, pick up moisture from the Channel and then dump on the first land it then encounters. As recently as 2008 and before then, 1993, East Kent suffered, feet of snow, trans cancelled and the rest of the stuff. Since then, after we moved here to St Maggies we were stuck cut off from the rest of Kent for a morning due to heavy show. But for the most part, winters have been mild for a good two decades, and memories fade.

So when the BBC says there is a heavy snow forecast, we pay attention. And yet it said light snow showers, sunny intervals. I mean, could mean anything.

But that was for the last four days of the week, for now, there was Monday.

And then there was the flu I still have. For most of the day I am OK, but come the evening I feel my throat drying out and once I lay down, non stop coughing for half the night. So, once I had drunk a coffee I began to think about work, I started to get the flashing lights of a migraine attack, sending me back to bed to lay in the dark and wait for it to pass. Lack of sleep and working on the computer is the best recipe I know for migraines, so once one has started, I have to take care the rest of the day.

Fifty seven I call my boss to tell her I am now well enough, she is only back to work herself, so is fine with it.

I do have cats with me though; Scully on the bed, Mulder of the drawers and Molly on the stairs, although I can't see her.

Lunchtime had passed, outside the sun shone and birds sung, but I guess was also bitterly cold.

The afternoon drifts by, the sun begins to set and long shadows are cast in the golden rays. I am up and about now, feeling like meh.

Jools is feeling washed out too, when she comes home we cook boiled chicken and rice, eat that whilst listening to Huey, and then Jools has a shower and goes to bed. At like seven.

I watch Only Connect and University Challenge and I go to bed too, the wind howling outside and the first flakes of snow having already fallen.

No comments: