Sunday 14 April 2024

Saturday 13th April 2024

A return to the seaside, and once I had done some research, looked at Google Earth, I was able to pretty much guess where the Green-wings were.

It took some 30 seconds before the flowering spike could be seen.

Only two spikes, but where a couple of years there were none.

Council has been informed and so not mowed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the orchid season is under way, you might have noticed the volume of uploads has slowed down somewhat. That won't always be true, but for now, enjoy the calm.

And so to the weekend and Saturday.

Saturday was to be the best for weather, so we decided to go out looking for the Green-winged orchid. In the meantime I had looked at the original picture, triangulated using Google Maps, and realised there was a small mowed triangle of grass.

One hundred and four If only I would have walked another 50m the day before, I would have found them.

But to Tesco first, and a round up of the usual items. Then back to the car and straight to Deal, park where I had the day before, and walking along the path to the grassed area, I began to search with my eyes.

Anacamptis morio I knew at least one spike was in flower, so the colour should have been obvious

And it was when I saw it from about 10m away. One good spike in full flower and a second behind yet to open.

I lay down to get shots, and then the usual question:

Breakfast?

We drove to the Corner Café, and by then in high spirits, which the owner picked up on We explained the orchids found and showed him pictures, and he seemed really interested.

Anacamptis morio He also tol me about his small wildflower area, which I went to look at. And sadly his forget-me-nots were indeed forget-me-nots rather than Speedwells, but I did see hedgehog scat, which they did not know visited their garden, so they were pleased.

Anacamptis morio Not as pleased as I was with the big breakfast with added hash browns along with a pot of builder's tea.

From there we drove home, unloaded the car and had another brew, they day done.

And yet it was just half nine in the morning.

While Jools did some energetic gardening, I made Jools some meals for her to take to work. A recipe called coriander chicken I picked up online.

BY the time i had made that, made fresh brews, it was time to watch the first game of the day, and Leeds lose at home for the first time this season, 1-0 to Blackburn.

Then it was eyes and ears down for the main batch of games on the radio, and Norwich were away to Preston, who were just two places below. City scored the only goal 5 minutes from time, and that was that.

More football to follow and watch as we ate pizza, and somehow another day had gone.

Phew.

No comments: