Friday 20 September 2013

Friday 20th September 2013

Bowie.

I have been asked by some people how Bowie is doing. In truth we do not know. We decided when he was taken to his new home in Walmer, we would not ask too many questions and let him be. I am sure he is OK, and Jools' friend, Colin, who found Bowie's new owner, would have mentioned it if anything was awry. What I can tell you is that our three resident cats are very happy, and life in the house has returned to normal pretty quickly. Which is just what we hoped. However, the cats are not happy this morning as they are shut in the house, ready for operation round up as they are going to spend the weekend in the cattery as we head up to that London for the whole weekend.

Thursday.

With the coming of the internet and all knowledge known to mankind being available to us at the click of a mouse, I use it mostly to track steam tours so I can plan photo-trips so I can snap them. Not the most productive of uses, but it works for me. Which is why after dropping Jools off at work yesterday I was heading to Ashford and then up to Wye, mixing with the rush hour traffic. It did mean braving the M20 J10, a horrible roundabout on which anything can happen. I hate it and will take a diversion of many miles to avoid it, but sometimes you just have to take it. Anyway, I got round it without incident, which was nice.

The tour, from Canterbury to Salisbury, was going to stop at Wye, and already passengers dressed to their nines were waiting. A group of schoolchildren we brought out of class to see the steam train stop and then pass by. Which is a shame as word reached us that Tornado was being dragged by a class 66. Not sure why this was, but sure enough as the train rounded the bend a mile away, I saw the profile of a 66, and smoking behind was Tornado.

60163 "Tornado", the Cathedrals Express, Wye, Kent 19th September 2013

So, it was a bit of a disappointment, but nothing we could do about it. So I snapped it and waited for it to depart before walking back to the car and checking out a church or two to visit. I looked at the map, and saw there was a cross nearby at Godmersham; so set off.

60163 "Tornado", the Cathedrals Express, Wye, Kent 19th September 2013

Godmersham is on the main road from Canterbury, and I am amazed I had not noticed it before, so I pulled in, grabbed the cameras and after taking a few exterior shots, went to try the door. And wonder of wonders, it swung open. Inside, once again it was a delight. The large country house next to the church was once owned by Jane Austen's brother, so the church receives many visitors chasing the Austen link. It would be nice if they took the beauty of the church with them rather than seeing a scroll on the wall.

Next up was All Saints, Boughton Aluph. I had seen the tower one misty morning from the edge of King's Wood, and have always meant to visit it. So, I drove along towards Ashford, and got the right turning. The church is at the end of a long narrow lane next to a country house. I found a place to park and set about photographing the outside. I thought there would be very little chance this remote church would be open.

As I stood at the entrance to the churchyard getting my first shot, two cars pulled up behind me, it seems the keymaster had arrived! The churchwardens were there to take down the flowers used to decorate the church for harvest festival. Would I like to go inside I was asked. If it's no trouble I replied trying to sound not too enthusiastic.

So, I went in and got the shots. Inside of the church is a huge space, of which less than half is taken with wooden backed chairs. There were no pews. However, it has a fine atmosphere, and looked wonderful with the flowers all round the church. I said thanks and bid the ladies farewell.

I looked at John Vigar's book, and decided I really want to find Eastwell. Eastwell is a ruined church in parkland, not having the right map I could not use the grid reference, but looking at the map I saw a cross at the end of a very long lane in the middle of woodland in Eastwell Park. That has to be it, right?

Wrong.

It turned out to be the church for Challock church, or St Cosmas And St Damian: the church is where it is now, remote from the village as after the black death, the village centre was moved a mile away, but the church is still used. Sadly for me, it was locked, but a sign said I collect the keys from the village post office. Now, I did say that the church was at the end of along lane: along dead end lane, and driving along I had to dodge dozens of pheasants, partridges and quail. It was the most odd thing: and driving back to the village to collect the key, the same thing with mad game birds running in front of the car rather than flying away.

I found the post office, got the key and drove back again. The church had been unlucky during the war in that it received a direct hit form a stray bomb, as this is just about the most remote church in the county, this was bad luck indeed. It was repaired, and then the walls were covered in murals, giving, at least to me, a slightly bonkers feel, but it is unique, and as the mural depicts the faces of the villagers from the millennium, making the church really part of the community.

I took the key back, and as both camera batteries were dead, no point in looking for Eastwell now, so I headed back home.

Being our 5th anniversary, we went to La Scala for dinner. It really is a fine place and we had a great meal: lamb for me, and escalopes for Jools, washed down with a bottle of wine. Very nice. And then we were pooped, so back home for some sleeping....

No comments: