Tuesday 10 September 2013

Tuesday 10th September 2013

Monday.

And so the beginning of a new week: only this week will be somewhat shorter than most. I have just three days to work before the main vacation of the year kicks in. You won’t be surprised to learn I have all manner of photographic passed malarkey planned for just about every day: I’m gonna need another holiday by the end of it. But for now, just the secure in the knowledge that there is some other stuff other than work/orchids/butterflies/churches/pubs coming up. Although some or all ove the above may be involved to a greater or lesser part.

Up with the larks in the semi-darkness of an autumnal morning; a cup of coffee then out into the world to drop Jools off to work and them me drive the 15 miles or so to Ramsgate. And waiting for me was a shiny new smartphone, one which I will try not to lose this time. Amazingly, this has the same number as my last one, not quite sure how that works, but thankfully I won’t have to now tell everyone the new number.

Once back home, the DVD for the latest Star Trek film had arrived, so we brewed up and sat down to watch the film whilst we slurped tea/coffee and munched on a short cake. Now, we had been waiting for months to see this, and it really looked wonderful, but when you stop to think about it, it was a plot full of holes and really did not make sense. Yes, I know this is science fiction, but at least it should obay the rules the previous films and TV series abided by. For example:

Starfleet has invented a starship that can be operated by one person. Thus making the entire premise of the following TV series and films obsolete.

Kirk was able to contact Mr Scott on the communicator whilst he was on the Klingon homeworld and Scotty was on Earth; why bother having a communications officer?

John Harrison escaped Earth via a transporter that zapped him to the Klingon homeworld, thus making all of Starfleet pointless as you can now transport anywere.

And the old one: despite having so many advances, computers still cannot shoot straight. I can work out a vector and guess where a target will be in say, 5 seconds, so why can’t they do it in the future?

Yes, its only a film, but it still has to make sense…..

A few times now, an event has occurred which I have read about on the BBC website or heard on the radio turns out to have affected people we know. On Saturday, on my way home from Dover, the Deal road was closed due to an accident. A van had hit a cyclist. Turns out nothing could be done for the cyclist, then Jools found out that the cyclist and cyclist’s father both worked at the factory. And for me it was an inconvenience but to a family it was earth-shattering. And on such things, lives change or are ended.

I guess I am saying, life is precious, enjoy it while you can and with those you want to spend your precious time with.

No comments: