Tuesday 24 September 2013

Tuesday 24th September 2013

Saturday.

We woke at dawn, and looking out of the room window we saw the Shard silhouetted against a fabulous pink sky. Needless to say we both snapped it before getting dressed and heading down for breakfast. A proper hearty breakfast, I had a fat boy fried breakfast just in case. Just in case of what I don't know. But it felt good.

Dawn Behind The Shard

We walked over to Waterloo station and took the shortest tube line, the Waterloo and City to Bank station. We stood as we went along the travelator then up the escalators to street level. From there it was a short walk to Threadneedle Street and the Bank of England. A queue had already formed despite it being just after eight, but I guess we were something like 50th, so not long to wait once it opened.

Jools at Bank Station

I left Jools to take some shots of The Gherkin and Lloyds, and the people queuing up. Lloyds was similar to the Bank of England, but The Gherkin was crazy as usual. Apparently people started to queue at one in the morning, and the line stretched out of sight. I snapped them and then went back to Jools at the Bank.

Queue at Lloyds

Queue at The Gherkin

Queue at the Bank of England

At half nine the doors opened and we inched forward, and in about 15 minutes we were granted entry. Sadly, photographs is not allowed inside and so you will have to look on Google for images of what we saw. Best thing was a five storey high staircase that wound its way from the basement to the top floor. I guess making things like money they are touchy about what we might see and snap. Oh well. It was good to see the heart of our failed capitalist system, one that prints money as that is the only way to stop the whole economy from collapsing.

Welcome to the Bank of England

Anyway, we left the Bank and headed out down towards Bank and 1 Poultry. from there I saw a tower of a church on the other side of the road, so we headed off to St Stephen Walbrook. It is another City church rebuilt by Wren, but is glorious inside, and capped with a fine dome which seemed to be a test for the one at St Paul's. We have a cuppa as we take in the decor, before we bid the staff thanks for their time and tea.

St Stephen Walbrook, City of London

Next up was St Mary Aldermary, which was closed, but a couple waiting said it was due to open at eleven, and as it was five to, we decided to wait. Glad we did as it was a fine church, the roof covered in tracery, looking like a giant spider's web. We were offered more tea, but declined.

St Mary Aldermary, City of London

Last stop before lunch was one of the livery halls, The Vinter's. There was no queue, so we walked in and during the tour learned all about the Hall and the livery and why they count and weight the swans on the Thames. Did I want to enroll on a wine appreciation course? Hmmmm, wine!

Vintners Hall

Back up at Poultry, we went into a Weatherspoons and ordered a pint, and ended up ordering lunch: Jools had a fine looking burger, whilst I tried to eat healthy and had a salad: no really! i did get free pint with my meal, which was nice.

After lunch, we split up: Jools went to Camden to look at bead shops and do some bead shopping. I got down to some serious photography. As an official photographer, I had a pass to get to the front of queues, but I used it just the once to get into Tower 42, what used to be called the Nat-West Tower. I took some shots of the queue and people reading the brochure, and then jumped in and went up to the 42nd floor.

Tower 42 view

The views were stunning, but at one window a Mother and Daughter had been there for 5 minutes and after I and another waited patiently, I asked if they were going to move as we wanted to look. I got a mouthful off the Mother to the effect I had jumped the queue and they hadn't therefore they were going to take their time and screw anyone ese. And they thought I was the one being rude!

I took my shots and got out of there.

Bishopgate Institute Library

I walked to Bishopgate, past Liverpool Street to look inside the Bishopgate Institute, as I had seen it when we were last in town. The Institute was set up to educate the working classes, and I can't think of a better thing. I looked round took some shots before walking to Liverpool street to head for the tube and then onto Blackfriars. Thing s with 800 buildings to visit, or the chance of visiting, there are just too many, and so I picked some out at random. One I did decide on fro the description in the brochure was Unilever House, situated at one end of Blackfriars Bridge.

Unilever Building

Outside it was a fine art deco frontage, but inside it had been renovated to house a stunning atrium, although we were unable to go up to the higher levels. Anyway, I take a breather and decide to visit the Black Friar pub on the other side of the road, as it is a stunning building, and I could really do with a refreshing drink.

after polishing off a pint of Hobgoblin, I set off up the hill towards Fleet street.

St Bride, Fleet Street, London

I walked around for a bit, ended up walking down Fleet Street where I went into St Brides church, which was hidden by scaffolding, but inside it was perfect. The crypt was also open and well worth seeking out to see the Roman and Saxon foundations. In here many of the pioneers of printing in Britain were buried, and of course printing only ended in fleet Street in the 1990s.

I walked on, stopping off for a coffee and a brownie in a small coffee shop opposite the Royal Court of justice. In the Strand I saw St Mary le Strand on an island, so I crossed the street and went inside.

St Mary Le Strand

In truth I was flagging by now, and the question was should I catch a cab, tube or walk back to the club. In the end I decided to walk, over Waterloo Bridge, past the IMAX cinema, under the Southeastern lines at Waterloo East and back to the club. I had another coffee whilst I waited for Jools to arrive, so I checked the football scores. City lost to Villa 1-0 at home, and so my mood darkened. But it is just a game after all.

Jools arrived so we went upstairs to rest before heading back down to the restaurant for dinner. Unspectacular as it was, the food was good simple stuff, and well cooked and very reasonable. It was just so British, I kept looking round smiling at the couples and groups eating. we all seemed happy enough though.

Too tired to watch to footy that evening, so we went to bed and slept long and deep. as it should be. The city did not miss us!

No comments: