Tuesday 17 September 2013

On this day......

17th September.

On this day 23 years ago i joined the RAF. I travelled up to Norwich with my Granddad on the train and he watched me swear my allegiance to the Queen and take possession of my train tickets for the next morning's trip to RAF Swinderby. I suppose i had no idea what I was letting myself in for, but for the most part, it was great. I don't mention my time in the RAF much, as I try not to look back too much, much better to live for the present and the future. I don't do regrets either, because whatever choices I have made have brought me here. And this is a good place. I don't even regret the first two Mrs Jelltex. Both were mad in their own way, and dangerous to know. But I knew when to pull the handle and get the hell out. Anyway.

as well as it being that anniversary, it is also 8 years since I left the RAF. Nothing as good as swearing an allegiance on that day, just sitting in my house in Oulton Broad drinking whisky then raising a toast at midnight and welcoming the rest of my life.

And eight years into the rest of my life, things are going well thank you very much....

No comments: