Friday 27 September 2013

Friday 27th September 2013

Tuesday.

And so day 13, the final day in my holiday rolled round. As usual, we were woken by Mulder just before dawn reminding us, lest we forget, that it was as near breakfast time, so if we wouldn’t mind but could we get up and feed him so his hunger would not consume him. Or that’s what I believe he is saying.

The weekend was Jools’ Nan’s 99th birthday. We were away in that there London on the actual day. And really there is nothing you can buy the near-centurion, I mean if there is anything the average 99 year old wanted, they would have it by then. I would hope. Mostly Nan hopes for things like the correct number of prunes for breakfast, not too much for lunch, not overly spicy food but plenty of ice cream.

Folkestone Warren from Little Switzerland

There must be 7 prunes, not six, not eight, but 7. And they must not be too tough, chewy, but prune-like. It is possible to have dried apricots, but these really must not be too dried, not cut into cubes and certainly not covered in flour. I guess we all get a little choosy as we get older, and Nan has had more time than most to get choosy.

Anyway, we decided that we would take her out for the afternoon, and maybe stop off for a cuppa. And/or an ice cream.

So, we headed out after lunch, picked Nan up. The weather has reverted back to that of high summer, and it must have been 80 degrees. Nan had a sensible coat on, and after feeling a draught from a slightly open window, put up her scarf and held it down with both hands. We headed out to a small church in the Folkestone area to see a church. After I snapped it from all angles, and then we headed out to Little Switzerland where we knew there was a café, and if we were lucky it would still be open at the end of September.

Folkestone Warren

Sadly, after driving over we found that it was closed. I went to check it out and snap the cliffs from outside the tea rooms. I thought the only other choice was the NT place on the white cliffs, but then I remembered the Battle of Britain Memorial, just up the road in Capel. Jools took Nan inside and bought a cuppa and an ice cream. Nan was happy enough with that. I wandered around to the edge of the cliffs to look down at the Warren far below. I took shots to record the scene, and then of the female Adonis Blues which I spotted too.

Folkestone Warren

We took Nan back home, and then we headed back to our house, this time with all windows open was we enjoyed the cool breeze. The day drifted away, I looked at more photos, then at quarter to eight listened to the League Cup games on the radio. City came from behind to beat Watford, that they needed extra time for this meant that bed time was delayed until nearly twenty past ten.

Adonis Blue (f)

And so ended my holiday, the time slipping through my fingers like a slippy thing covered in slime. It’s been a blast.

Folkestone Leas

No comments: