Friday 14 March 2014

So goodbye then, Tony Benn

I am not going to bang on about what Tony Benn did and did not stand in or believe in, about what his greatest achievements or failures were. There will be many vox-pops and talking heads and rent-a-quotes from those that knew him, and those that didn't, from those that admired him and those who thought he was the devil incarnate.

My economics teacher said in class once, you might not agree with anything Tony benn says, but you know he means every word. I have always remembered that.

R.I.P Tony Benn

I did meet Tony Benn once, I was at Lowestoft railway station, waiting for my Mum to come back so I could ferry her back to her armchair, and off the train got Tony Benn. He was greeted by grandees from the local labour party. You see, despite being what you might call a national treasure, and worth his weight in gold, he travelled by public transport, and why not? Its what it is there for. I waited my turn, and shook his hand and thanked him for being Tony benn and standing up for what he believed in. "What do you do", he asked. I'm afraid I'm in the RAF I replied. That is nothing to be ashamed of, and he shook my hand.

No comments: