Sunday 23 March 2014

Sunday 23rd March 2014

Saturday.

Once again we had let the chore of heading to Tesco until the last minute. There was enough milk for a coffee before we headed out to brave the early crowds at eight. Back home before the Danny Baker show began at nine, we unpacked our goodies working as a well-oiled team. There were no croissants, so we made do with a pain de Champagne with lashings of fresh butter and vintage marmalade with yet more coffee.

I headed out soon after to the butcher at preston, and maybe to try to gain entry to a couple of tricky churches. After my double success the week before I felt sure I could get in Westcliffe and Preston. That Westcliffe is one of two churches in sight from our house, and I have never seen inside has become a bugbear for me for a while, and it is no trouble to park in the layby on the way out.

as expected it was locked, and frustratingly, no details in the porch as to who might have a key. So, I took a leaflet and see that there an evensong on Sunday, which could mean me attending church for some God-bothering just to get my shots.

Next up was Ash. ash is in sight of Sandwich, and is a fine looking village, although the narrow main street is choked with cars and I was unable to find a parking space, so I drove on through the village and back out to the main road. Over that to the Nash road and on to Preston where I buy: a joint of topside, some kofte kebabs, steak for that night's dinner, pork pies, home cured bacon and some more of the fresh wild garlic sausages.

Finally I drove up the lane to St Mildred's, with little hope in my heart. And, sadly, I was proved right as it was also locked fast, and once again no details of a key holder. At no church had I even got my gear out of the car, let alone take a shot. I drove home a little bit down, but Fighting Talk on the radio raised my spirits.

Back home I make lunch: fresh rolls with some thick cut ham and a huge cuppa. Brilliant. Then sit down to write the 900th blog and listen to the football. City played at three, but before that Arsenal travelled to Chelski to play Wenger's 1000th game in charge. All did not go to plan for him as Chelsea ran out 6-0 winners and really underlined the shortage of players, a result of the club's, or manager's reluctance to buy players.

Later, City ran out 2-0 winners against Sunderland, almost 29 years to the day of the Milk Cup Final. In truth Sunderland were dreadful, and that we scored just 2 showed how poor we have been in front of goal. But at least it is three points and maybe we have enough to survive.

I cooked two rib-eyes, and Jools went to the chippy, so we sat down to a fine dinner whilst listening to Saturday Live, well, until the internet connection couldn't support even streaming the radio.

No comments: