Sunday 16 March 2014

Sunday 16th March 2014

Saturday.

What with the events of the week, we had kinda skipped the bit where we needed to go shopping for food thing. So, after an early morning coffee we headed to Tesco to get round before the eejits came out and blocked the aisles. We were there and back within 40 minutes, and soon we were putting on a second pot of coffee and warming through four fresh croissants, just perfect for getting the day off to a better start.

I had arranged to meet my Flickr-friend Will, and head to Minster in Thanet after meeting the warden last week at Monkton and he promising that the church would be open today for bell ringing practice and for me to do some snapping. We had arranged to meet Will at Canterbury West station, Jools decided to skip on the churches and said she would do some shopping in the city instead and catch the bus back. So, we ended up mixing it with the heavy traffic, I dropped jools at Westgate, and then went to the station to meet Will, taking the easiest and shortest route out of the city to the narrow lanes and green fields.

In the end we headed straight up the hill on the Whitstable road, which was quiet enough, and we were able to cruise along, catching up,as well as being warm enough to have the windows open in the car.

I turned along Thanet Way, which was also nice and quiet, but as can sometimes happen it had its fair share of idiots who thought it some kind of racetrack, and as I moved to take the right turn off the roundabout at Minster, some idiot thought it be fun to tailgate as he thought the outside lane belonged to him. As is the way, that sort of behaviour just makes me go slower......

Down the main street, dodging the badly parked cars and the bus, outside the church, find a space, get the gear out of the back. Now, would the church be open?

We walked to the door in the tower, I could see that it hadn't been opened for a generation, so we went round the side, I tried the door, the handle turned and we went inside. At a table were five folks ringing handbells. It all sounded very good indeed. In fact they were very new at this and were trying to get this right for their first performance on Sunday. We tried not to distract them as we took our shots.

They stopped their practicing, and one of the old guys asked 'do you want to look up the tower?' I thought he would never ask!

So, we went to the door and inside was a set of very well worn spiral steps going up. Which was just as well. I say well worn, they are 12th or 13th century, so have seen a few sets of feet. It was a squeeze for us to get up the steps, and even more so as we made our way along the narrow passageway to the belfry.

GWUK #1054 St. Mary, Minster in Thanet, Kent

It is impressive, even more so when you realise that the bells were hauled up here by hand and manouvered my manpower alone to get them in their correct positions. And they have been there for many, many years. I could look up how long. Wait a minute.

Early 17th century.

wowzers, old time bells.

Anyway, once back down again, we were offered coffee, chocolate hob nobs, which was all very nice indeed.

What to do?

I could think of little else to do, so I headed towards Dover thinking that as I had finally got into Minster church, I should try Eastry as well. So, we turned off the main road and went into the village. Parked up and got the gear out again. I forgot what an unusual porch the church had, I thought it locked, but the door was just stiff. I swung the door open, and then the inner door too, and in the process disturbing another warden, this time vacuuming.

She was very nice, telling us the fine details of the church and filling us in with the history. She did not offer to take us up the tower though! Whilst she chatted to Will, I went round to get my shots, which I hope come out well. And before she could take up more of our a time, a quick glance at the clock revealed it to be nearly one and Will had to be heading home by three.

My plan was to head to Fordwich, but I thought of the difficulties parking, so I changed that to Wickhambreaux, only to find the road closed to flooding, so we ended up at Ickham, which also has a fine pub as well as the four oasthouses which I thought Will might like to snap.

Indeed he did, and the weather was just about perfect for the shot with the sun in the right position to snap the oasthouses. After getting the shot, we headed to the Duke William for a drink and a bite to eat.

Time then just to pop into St Peters opposite which was also open to grab some shots before heading to Sturry so Will could catch the bus home. Which gave me the opportunity to listen to the football on the radio as I drove home. City concede within 5 minutes of the start and are chasing shadows for most of the game, and are three down going into the last ten minutes. Saints then gift us a couple of goals to give us hop, only for them to snatch a forth with the last kick. 4-2. We probably need seven more points for the last eight games, which is a tall order, but then again we did score two for the first time since before Christmas.

It is grim.

No comments: